PDA

View Full Version : Central Heating??

J4L
12-05-2007, 11:12 AM
Citizens advice say 'your landlord must provide the services which are reasonably required by you, these services include the supply of gas, electricity and water'
Is there a legal obligation to provide central heating in a property or some sort of heating??

justaboutsane
12-05-2007, 12:01 PM
If nothing is there then no! I moved into a flat 2 years ago that had NO heating at all!! I was "luck" enough to be eligible for storage heaters to be installed with a warm front grant. If your tenant hs no heating and your tenant is eligible for one of these schemes then good luck! .. get ready for months of no action then getting fobbed off with lies etc!

On the other hand having heating does add value to the property!

J4L
12-05-2007, 12:27 PM
thanks, I shall take your advice and put some in I think. It's a new property (to us, not NEW!) And i'd really prefer to keep tenants happy. It's a small investment for peace of mind. PLus as you say it will add to the sale price when we eventually sell it.
Thanks for the advice.

TaxationPete
12-05-2007, 12:32 PM
The installation of central heating, when it had Non before is an enhancement and chargeable to capital, the ongoing maintenance will be revenue. Regards Peter

Esio Trot
12-05-2007, 14:47 PM
Is there a legal obligation to provide central heating in a property or some sort of heating??

There didn't used to be, but the rules changed in April 2006.

A new system of assessment called HHSRS (http://www.communities.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1500221) came in, and is much more nebulous as far as landlords obligations are concerned.

If your local council visit and decide that heating is inadequate (non-existant?) you can be required to remedy it.

Round our way the council have decided that the minimum modern standard for all properties is to have gas central heating. Where this is not available they will accept oil or LPG central heating, or electric storage heaters. On demand electric heaters are only acceptable in minor rooms (bedrooms/bathrooms etc) but these must be fixed wall/ceiling mounted appliances. Portable plug-in ones are banned.

You'd best enquire with your local authority.

J4L
12-05-2007, 18:30 PM
Thanks ESIO,
Your points are very interesting and i will look into this further. As I stated ealier I think I will install GCH anyways just to be sure. I'm looking to be viewed as a fair and honest LL so as to improve the reputation locally.
Thanks Again.

jeffrey
13-05-2007, 12:06 PM
Also see s.11 of LTA 1985. This does not actually require central heating but does state that L is responsible for supply installations (inc. heating).

J4L
13-05-2007, 12:29 PM
Also see s.11 of LTA 1985. This does not actually require central heating but does state that L is responsible for supply installations (inc. heating).

Could you expand on this for me please Jeffrey as I can't find anything like that in the aforementioned Act.

jeffrey
13-05-2007, 12:37 PM
Could you expand on this for me please Jeffrey as I can't find anything like that in the aforementioned Act.

[I must be a different Jeffrey from the one whom you've just slagged off]

Section 11 of LTA 1985 imposes repairing obligations for L on a short lease. Amongst them are:
s.11(1)(a)- keeping house's structure in repair.
s.11(1)(b)- keeping "in repair and proper working order the installations...for the supply of water, gas, and electricity and for sanitation...".
s.11(1)(c)- keeping "in repair and proper working order the installations...for space heating and heating water."

J4L
13-05-2007, 12:47 PM
[I must be a different Jeffrey from the one whom you've just slagged off]

Section 11 of LTA 1985 imposes repairing obligations for L on a short lease. Amongst them are:
s.11(1)(a)- keeping house's structure in repair.
s.11(1)(b)- keeping "in repair and proper working order the installations...for the supply of water, gas, and electricity and for sanitation...".
s.11(1)(c)- keeping "in repair and proper working order the installations...for space heating and heating water."

(No Jeffrey you are the same one, apologies if you are offended but I just felt the other post was very childlike!)

Anyway, thanks for your response. What the law states though is that 'should' I provide space heaters then I am responsible for their upkeep and the such, it doesn't actually say that I have to 'provide' them does it?? Or am I mis reading this?

jeffrey
13-05-2007, 13:07 PM
1. Apology accepted.
2. LTA 1985 does not stipulate that L has to install the stuff. Are you saying that there aren't any installations there at all? Various cases are reported about the section's effect- I don't have access to them, but try the Web?
3. If local authority require you to install stuff, you then become liable - by s.11 - to keep it in good repair.

J4L
13-05-2007, 14:06 PM
No the property has gas, electric and water supplies but no 'actual' central heating. There is a gas fire in the living room but nothing upstairs. I was just really trying to find out if I HAD to install central heating before I let it out.