PDA

View Full Version : Guarantor Help Needed Urgently

Pleasehelp
10-05-2007, 22:29 PM
Hello I need some advice as I am getting increasingly frustrated by the situation I am in at the mo'
I am 21 years old am have moved from uni in Stoke to start work in London until September when I begin a new degree.
I have found the perfect room, with excellent transport links to my work place and with nice housemates but and there is a big one I keep getting stopped at a major hurdle.
The landlord is dealing with the house through an estate agent, and they the agent have done their credit check on myself and the agent told me to call up asumming that was it I came in and he says that I now need a guarantor, which I agree with to some lentghs but what about if you do not have one full stop.
I am the first person in my family who is self made with a job, no children and an education. I will make 4x what the rent is each week (100pound) and I have no family eligable for this, so what else can I do? and also I am only renting the property for four months at this rate it will be three.

It seems as if the landlord does not want anyone to move in and this is causing alot of problems in itself for the girl who is moving from the room because of the silly and Over The Top things expirian credit checkers ask for.

Thank You,
Please Help

jeffrey
11-05-2007, 09:12 AM
Try an insurance company (it might guarantee your payments, at your own expense) or perhaps ask if your own Bank's reference for you would be acceptable instead.

Pleasehelp
11-05-2007, 09:49 AM
I have contacted the agent regarding what you have said and they are being very difficult saying that they are doing the check on behalf of the landlord and that it is done by Expirian not them so they just keep insisting that I need a guarantor.Ahh, this is putting me off renting.

attilathelandlord
11-05-2007, 10:07 AM
They are not being difficult, they are doing their job which is protecting the landlord's asset. Why can't you get a guarantor? If not, then look at becoming a lodger in a private house. A Live-in landlord has much greater protection and would therefore not carry out such checks.

jeffrey
11-05-2007, 10:10 AM
I have contacted the agent regarding what you have said and they are being very difficult saying that they are doing the check on behalf of the landlord and that it is done by Expirian not them so they just keep insisting that I need a guarantor.Ahh, this is putting me off renting.

They don't "need" a guarantor. They "want" a guarantor- not the same.
If you can show financial stablility and a good track record, that really should suffice.

paul_c
11-05-2007, 15:11 PM
Well, you don't have a devine right to move into the property. If the credit check says you will need a guarantor then I certaintly think the landord is right to insist on it.

If you're in as good a job as you say then why not offer to take out a loan and pay the 4 months rent upfront? Most landlords would accept that.

Failing that you will have to find a guarantor. Do you really mean to say there is no one that knows and trusts you that would pass a credit check and stand as guarantor? I find that hard to believe.

timbstoke
12-06-2007, 04:58 AM
Failing that you will have to find a guarantor. Do you really mean to say there is no one that knows and trusts you that would pass a credit check and stand as guarantor? I find that hard to believe.

As simple as that sounds, think about it another way. How many of your friends do you trust enough to make yourself liable for a potentially very large amount of money, with absolutely nothing in return? Finding a friend who would pass a credit check is one thing, but I know my friends certainly don't know enough about my financial situation for me to even ask them to put themselves in that position, and the ones who do are mostly in a worse financial situation than me, and have their own things to worry about without committing to guarantee my lifestyle as well.