PDA

View Full Version : Doorbell, is it landlord responsibility???

martin_n
10-05-2007, 18:09 PM
Hi,

I have let out the property quite a long time ago (more than 17 years) and the doorbell at the property stop working a few months and the tenant is demanding me to fix it. Recently, he refused a builder to access the property with the reason that he could not hear when the door was knocked. He said that I am better to fix the the doorbell otherwise no one could access to the property.

Just a quick question if you know that if this is landlord responsibility or tenant?

Thanks.

Martin

Uncle Fester
10-05-2007, 18:36 PM
If It's just batteries then Tenant should replace

But the Tenant must allow access

Paragon
10-05-2007, 20:30 PM
Happened to me. Instead of trying to fix the wiring. I bought the tenant a remote doorbell for very little money. If the battery goes in the push button, I will just replace for him. Little things mean a lot to tenants.

DianeB
10-05-2007, 20:56 PM
Silly question possibly - but is it the tenant's job to check and change smoke detector batteries as well?

Paragon
10-05-2007, 21:02 PM
Yes (too short)

DianeB
10-05-2007, 22:10 PM
Thanks for that Paragon (I'm hoping the yes was in response to the latter part of my post - not the former?)

Paragon
10-05-2007, 22:23 PM
Thanks for that Paragon (I'm hoping the yes was in response to the latter part of my post - not the former?)

LOL - It most definitely was to the second part.

Bel
10-05-2007, 23:28 PM
You need to check the batteries are working at commencement. There is a smoke detector battery replacement waiver form on this forum somewhere; to formalise this aspect of tenants responsibility.

Paragon
11-05-2007, 08:34 AM
You need to check the batteries are working at commencement. There is a smoke detector battery replacement waiver form on this forum somewhere; to formalise this aspect of tenants responsibility.

Bel - That makes my morning. I can just see where all this is heading.

Waiver form on burned out light bulb.

The tenant agrees to mitigate any potential damage to himself or others if a light bulb burns out and takes full responsibility to change any burned out light bulbs at his own expense. Before changing light bulb, tenant agrees to take extra precautions and to crawl (will not walk or run ) on floor in order to be proactive in ensuring his safety. Tenant agrees not to hold landlord responsible for changing light bulb. And on and on.

Paragon
11-05-2007, 10:08 AM
:D Good one. LOL.

jeffrey
11-05-2007, 10:15 AM
Doorbell jokes?

Ah, that rings a bell.
Is chime of the essence?
Knock, knock. Who's there? Isabel. Isabel who? Isabel necessary on a bicycle?
Doorbell repairers do it like the clappers.
Pull the other one, it's got bells on.
I'm doing this just to tannoy you.