PDA

View Full Version : short term flat letting

philipfoxe@yahoo.co.uk
09-05-2007, 15:59 PM
I'm likely to be spending chunks of time away from my flat in North London on work related stuff. I'm considering short holiday lets to help pay the bills. Agents don't really deal with this as it's more trouble than it's worth to them. My concern is about the place being trashed and getting tenants out after say, two weeks or two months. Any advice?

jeffrey
09-05-2007, 16:11 PM
I'm likely to be spending chunks of time away from my flat in North London on work related stuff. I'm considering short holiday lets to help pay the bills. Agents don't really deal with this as it's more trouble than it's worth to them. My concern is about the place being trashed and getting tenants out after say, two weeks or two months. Any advice?

A holiday letting, if genuine, is outside the Housing Act 1988: see paragraph 9 in Schedule 1. It would therefore be a common-law contractual tenancy with no security at all for T.
The "holiday" reference follows s.9 of the Rent Act 1977. A couple of Court of Appeal decisions (in 1952 and 1978) are reported on its meaning.

Poolboy
09-05-2007, 17:44 PM
seemed like a good idea for me & I contacted a serviced accom agency, can´t remember the name but I googled my flat´s block name. A very impressive website they had but despite chasing I got no response.

Anyway, the plan was to short term let as I wanted to come & go at say 3 month blocks of time. However, I ran the economics & it was miles better to just come back & stay in a hotel, well Travelodge actually! Drives you mad looking at those 4 walls but you get used to it.

So I await a void so I can get back in, if you find a good serviced accom agent for SW London area - there must be one, please post here.

Cheers

Davidran
18-02-2011, 01:06 AM
Hi,

Following your request, you can have a look at www.flat-club.com - it's a website for short term lettings with people you trust - your friend of friends. Really nice service!

LesleyAnne
18-02-2011, 11:05 AM
As its a flat, is it Leasehold? If so, check you lease to verify letting is permitted.

Is is mortgaged? If so ask them if OK - many refuse or offer a deal if you pay extra.

Check insurance is covered, as if you do get anything "trashed" it will be difficult to claim of you haven't sought their approval to let first.

You will also have to declare tax on your rental income.