PDA

View Full Version : Furniture packages

claudesaid
08-05-2007, 21:51 PM
Hi all,
I am a new landlord and have been advertising an unfurnished flat (or rather partly furnished as it has a fully equipped kitchen, wooden floors and curtains) for 3 weeks now. I only had 4 interests and they wanted the flat furnished. I knew I had to be more patient to let unfurnished but I am now loosing patience.
Hence my thread re furniture packages... has anyone bought from companies selling furniture packages for landlords (there's a list of them on this website)? If so, would you say it is good quality furniture as they advertise it? And finally, is it really worth getting all the extra bits like decor packs, candles...?
Many thanks for any feedback.

sharemaster2
09-05-2007, 08:17 AM
Hello there,

I have been in this position before when I got three new build properties in manchester. The developers had furniture package for a 1 Bed flat was about 3k and more, for two bedroom. I did not think it should cost that much, so I decided to do the furnishing myself - Spent a weekend in my Local Ikea and did all the furnishing for a mere £1200. Since then, I do all my Furnishing myself even the CARPET or WOODEN flooring too. The point is if you have the time, do it yourself and go with a woman that has an eye for interior deco, a girlfreind or wife will do. Remember, the furniture companies are in business too so they are there to make some profit and also do get the packages at a fraction of the nornal price you will pay. If you want to go with them make sure you are fully aware of the QUALITY of the product they will supply you and Exactly what and what comes with the relevant packages to save yourself surprises.

It really depends on your budget as well.:D

claudesaid
09-05-2007, 12:25 PM
Hi sharemaster2
Thanks for your reply. I was ready to furnish myself the flat with Ikea products and was interested in estimating how much it would save me... and to my surprise, I came up with a total cost of nearly £3k for a 2 bedroom flat (I was not picking the cheapest nor the most expensive) which is similar to the furniture packages you can find around!!!
I know they get huge discounts on bulk buy and pass a small proportion back to their customers but their packages include delivery and installation while Ikea doesn't and from the pictures and the description, the quality looks better than Ikea.
Any thoughts or experience?

Mrs J
23-03-2011, 10:52 AM
We supply furniture packages to companies who lease properties in bulk (I don't live in the UK, I am a lettings manager and this is a service we have decided to offer). WE have put together a fabulous pack which costs about 2K sterling and 99% of it comes from IKEA. What we do to customise it is have the odd chair or sofa recovered to match the curtains (we do not use IKEA curtains as they are not good enough for our needs and their cost is extra on top of the 2K). Our flats look fab! IKEA do a black leather sofa called a KLIPPAN. It is a fantastic piece that we put everything else around. I have seen sofas similar to this in real designer settings and at 5 times the price. If you do go to IKEA though, buy good beds. We once put some of their cheap divans in and they looked absolutely awful. We always put in pretty accessories including throws and cushions. They just make the place look nicer. The 2K includes all the bedding etc but not electrical goods.

PS. Having spent many, many wearisome hours putting these packages together I can honestly say I have never found better quality for money and I doubt very much that a furniture package company is offering better quality items.

AardvarkFan
23-03-2011, 10:59 AM
WARNING to the OP: If you enter the IKEA labyrinth, you may never get out or recover.
The reality of IKEA is rarely talked about and after giving them more and more chances, I won't use them ever again.

Mrs J
23-03-2011, 11:09 AM
WARNING to the OP: If you enter the IKEA labyrinth, you may never get out or recover.
The reality of IKEA is rarely talked about and after giving them more and more chances, I won't use them ever again.

Well there is that to it but if you really want to become confused, distressed and lose the will to live ...try ordering your furniture from DWELL!

mind the gap
23-03-2011, 20:33 PM
I must disagree, on the whole. Their cheapest stuff is indeed nasty, but the mid-ranges are good value for money and perfectly serviceable. I have found their after-sales service excellent in that they have agreed to refund me in full for various items when they didn't have to and they have been extremely reasonable about providing spares (free). The delivery service isn't wonderful but they don't pretend it is. We equipped student bedrooms £300 each : double bed, triple wardrobe, 3-drawer chest of drawers, desk, chair, tall bookcase.

I believe Habitat does good quality packages too, but they will be pricier.

For a variety of views on IKEA, see:

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?18986-The-joys-of-shopping-at-IKEA&highlight=IKEA+mind

kittikat
23-03-2011, 22:04 PM
Why not try a house clearance company? You could get entire contents for a fraction of the price new. Or go for good quality second hand furniture? When my daughter went to uni myself and her 3 housemates parents furnished a 4 bed house with good quality matching furniture from an auction for under £500 - beds, three peice, wardrobes etc, fridge, freezer etc.

midlandslandlord
23-03-2011, 22:58 PM
There's an excellent article about this in the current RLA Residential Property Investor magazine about companies supplying pretty complete furniture packages for flats delivered to your door, with examples from £500 for 1 beds and <£1000 for 2 beds. That looks a good solution for places like London, the time poor or the rushed, and all the furniture added together may only be half the deposit.

See http://www.residentialpropertyinvestor.co.uk/content/sepoct10/reader.shtml.

If you are not a member you can - I think - register to read it free with an email address.

For the modern 2 bed bungalow I'm just doing I have used:

A complete Ikea kitchen after looking all over; most impressed with their design system and staff help, but transporting it was an utter sod even though I have a van, but I was learning the ropes. Ikea take certain liberties with non-feasible bits on their displays. In my experience B&Q staff are always excellent, but the quality of their kitchen unit carcases is not very good (being kind). At Ikea get an Ikea family card for free coffee and cheaper meatballs. At B&Q get your granny to use her granny card for about 15% off.

Wickes nice floor tiles at about £10 per sqm, after watching sets of special offers rolling through for a couple of months for the one I wanted.

ML

mind the gap
24-03-2011, 13:10 PM
ML you and I have probably met each other in one of those places without even knowing it! I seem to spend my life in B & Q/Wickes/IKEA some weeks...

I like the toasted teacakes you get in B & Q.

midlandslandlord
24-03-2011, 14:59 PM
ML you and I have probably met each other in one of those places without even knowing it! I seem to spend my life in B & Q/Wickes/IKEA some weeks...

I like the toasted teacakes you get in B & Q.

My best recent find has been Dunelm Mill, and they seem to have a curtain poll system which spans 4m and uses "C" rings not "O" rings, so you can have supports in the middle. And clearance curtains at outrageously low prices.

Small things.

ML