PDA

View Full Version : Overpaid Rent

orph
08-05-2007, 19:52 PM
Hi,

I hope anyone can help me out.

I began my current tenancy on 12.02.06 for 6 months, and have been on a rolling contract since 12.8.2006 up until now.

Landlord served us 2 months notice approx. 3 weeks ago - via agent.

We have paid rent covering up to the end of May.

We have also found new accommodation, and I informed LL we would be moving out on 12/05.

LL is considering not refunding the rent we have paid for the period from 12.5 through to 30.05.

Where do we stand on this? LL already gave us notice, do we then need to give them notice of 1 month before we leave?

Thanks
Kristian

DianeB
08-05-2007, 21:24 PM
You do not need to give notice to your landlord.

Has he given you any reason as to why he is considering withholding the rent? If you moved in on 12th of month, usually your montly rent would cover you up to 11th of the following month. If you have overpaid, I would assume it reasonable for the landlord to repay you.

It is easy to work out how much. Just multiply your monthly rent by 12 then divide that figure by 365. Finally multiply that figure by the amount of days you think you have overpaid.

orph
08-05-2007, 21:28 PM
Thanks Diane.

LL seems to believe that we need to give them 1 months notice, but I assumed after we've been told to move, we could arrange other accommodation and move whenever.

LL is calling me in the morning to discuss, so I just needed to be aware of where we stood.

DianeB
08-05-2007, 21:46 PM
This thread may be of interest to you.

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4308

orph
09-05-2007, 12:44 PM
Ok,

Here's what has happened:

- LL insists I should have given 1 month notice, even after given notice by her.

- However, she has made an offer to return half the rent, as a goodwill gesture.

This is rubbish - what are the next steps involved to get back what is owed?

Thanks

DianeB
09-05-2007, 21:50 PM
Ok,

Here's what has happened:

- LL insists I should have given 1 month notice, even after given notice by her.

- However, she has made an offer to return half the rent, as a goodwill gesture.

This is rubbish - what are the next steps involved to get back what is owed?

Thanks

I wonder what they will do - make you stay in the house until you give them 1 months notice???

I would probably ask them to point out in the contract where it says you must give them notice after they have served it on you.

If the goodwill gesture is a decent amount, maybe you could think about accepting it, or if not, be very assertive with them about doing it your way.

My opinion only!
Good luck!