PDA

View Full Version : bad tenants website??

happiness323
08-05-2007, 08:55 AM
I have experienced so many bad tenants in the Bath area (mainly POLISH and students) that I would like to create a website where Landlords can list the names of such tenants, if only to act as some sort of deterent. There is no support for Landords, what good is contract when they just walk away without paying and we all know how long it takes to go through the small claims court to recoup our losses!

Does anyone know if the law permits as list of names, dates and brief description of how they left etc on a website? I suppose its against data protection!! Your thoughts would be very interesting!!

chocolatemalteser
09-05-2007, 09:58 AM
isn't there a slander/libel issue there?

99sc1610
09-05-2007, 10:06 AM
If you publish such information then you are leaving yourself open to an action in defamation. Also note that suggesting that one nation of people are worse than others is not a good idea

jeffrey
09-05-2007, 10:13 AM
It's best not to be sued, I agree.
AND I'm not a defamation expert either.
Subject to that, a defendant could plead:
a. fair comment (ie not that the allegation was necessarily true but that, unactuated by malice, he/she made a reasonable statement); and/or
b. justification (ie that the defendant can prove the truth of the allegation and thereby defeat the plaintiff's action- onus of proof is on defendant).

99sc1610
09-05-2007, 10:16 AM
Thats true, but from the brief information we have it appears unlikely that the courts would accept such defences as it is one individual making an online database of people's information. Maybe the best course of action is for Landlord's in such a position to group together and petition for the Government to create such a website themselves (although not likely to happen).

99sc1610
09-05-2007, 10:34 AM
Yes i agree with you, some of us student tenants like myself are even understanding of this problem

Esio Trot
09-05-2007, 10:59 AM
I have experienced so many bad tenants in the Bath area (mainly POLISH and students) ......

I find this quite surprising.

In our area we have had a significant influx of Polish, Lithuanians and others from eastern Europe.

Invariably we have found them to be some of our best tenants - with the one proviso that they do tend to have "visitors" who seem to stay a long time.

RichieP
09-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Even if someone were prepared to take the risk, it would be wide open to abuse. What about those dodgy landlords we read about on here that get taken to court for return of deposits for example? They'd be putting those tenants names on there out of spite.

Paragon
09-05-2007, 12:05 PM
I believe court records are public knowledge. I believe there is one company that lists all court cases involving tenancy decisions. I saw it advertised somewhere, but can't remember where.

99sc1610
09-05-2007, 12:13 PM
I believe that LexisNexis allows you to search for cases by subject matter if thats the sort of thing you are referring to

Poppy35
09-05-2007, 12:32 PM
I find this quite surprising.

In our area we have had a significant influx of Polish, Lithuanians and others from eastern Europe.

Invariably we have found them to be some of our best tenants - with the one proviso that they do tend to have "visitors" who seem to stay a long time.

:D so true, you must be from the same area as me! All our polish tenants are great, rent paid on time, houses being looked after, just great aunt ethel and her 3 nieces staying for longer than they should!!