PDA

View Full Version : Letting Agent gone AWOL missing depost, etc!

Ashy
07-05-2007, 21:14 PM
Hi,

I'll try and keep this as brief as I can, hopefully not missing anything out!

Renting a property, started December 8th.

Paid deposit (£787), plus rental (£525) when required to letting agent on 8th of every month.

Knock on door 14th April, turns out to be landlord, he asks if I have paid rental money to agent.

I say yes and show receipts. Turns out that agent has not been paying landlord two months payments.

Landlord has tried to get in touch with Letting agent but not been successful, more detail here but ultimately he has had no contact.

Landlord is happy with me and I am to continue paying him with a new contract.

So my question is:

What do I do about my deposit? I haven't discussed this with the landlord but is it not up to him to return it as the initial agreement is signed with him?

Apparently (according to the landlord) the police don't seem to be interested in the missing money.. is this not theft or fraud?

Do landlords, letting agents not have to put deposit money safe somewhere? or does that show I am REALLY naive!

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

P.Pilcher
07-05-2007, 22:08 PM
As recently posted below here, your landlord is totally responsible for returning your deposit at the end of your tenancy. Despite any excuse he may try to come up with, your contract is with your landlord and the agent merely signed it on his behalf as HIS agent. You have no contract with this agent, so any court action you try to take against him will fail. If your landlord does not return your deposit however, you may take action against him. He can take action against his agent to recover your deposit if he wishes, but that's his problem, HE is liable to return it to you whether or not he has recovered it from elsewhere.

P.P.