PDA

View Full Version : Possible boiler replacement

heather5
04-05-2007, 20:10 PM
The property I have rented since mid-January has had problems with the water and heating since I moved in.

Three corgi guys have now been round and said that the water heating unit needs to be replaced some also suggest boiler too. All said it would be a three day job with no heating or water during that time.

What do landlords normally do for tennants during this time? Do they offer them the three days rent free? Do they guarantee that in the event of damage to my things they will replace?

Or is it assumed that the upheaval is normal?

Apparently the previous person complained about it but nothing was done - although in fairness, I don't think it had reached the point where it was cutting out every day and needing to be reset each day to work.

Thanks for any advice.

Paul_f
05-05-2007, 09:07 AM
If CORGI registered installers have recommended replacement of the system and possibly the boiler then the landlord is duty bound under S.11 Landlord & Tenant Act 1985 to follow that advice if the system is malfunctioning.

If the work takes three days then you might reasonably ask for some rent rebate but its a matter for negotiation. If the landlord asgrees to have the work done what would you prefer? Disruption for 3 days or a functioning central heating/hot water system?

Poppy35
05-05-2007, 12:05 PM
i agree with Paul. You would not ask a mortgage company for a rebate if you were going on holiday would you? Sometimes these disruptions happen and 3 days is not the end of the world. Cant really understand why it will take that long though as we have just had a new boiler put in a house, pipes changed etc and it took about 7 hours in total.

Ericthelobster
05-05-2007, 20:13 PM
If CORGI registered installers have recommended replacement of the system and possibly the boiler then the landlord is duty bound under S.11 Landlord & Tenant Act 1985 to follow that advice if the system is malfunctioning.That is surely only the case if the original boiler has been condemned for safety reasons... any installer is quite likely to recommend that a boiler needs replacing for many reasons: eg, because in his opinion a repair is uneconomical (it might not be in the LL's view); maybe he can't get spares (but the LL may know somebody else who can); he may be out to make a fast buck (just because he's a CORGI doesn't mean he's any different to a car mechanic - no offence intended to either!)

If the work takes three days then you might reasonably ask for some rent rebate but its a matter for negotiation. If the landlord asgrees to have the work done what would you prefer? Disruption for 3 days or a functioning central heating/hot water system?Is this because the system is out of order until the guy comes to sort it out? Just that I had a new boiler with 20m of supply pipe installed from scratch last week, in less than a day.

heather5
06-05-2007, 21:48 PM
Thanks for the response.

Yes, I'd prefer a working system! But thought I'd ask.

Apparently the problem is removing the water tank which needs replacing at the same time. This is why I was quoted 3 days.

And that's why I was told I would have no water or heating for 3 days.

It's also why I'm worried about damage being done.

Be interesting to get a response from you guys - on whether such work does take that length of time.

Yes, all quotes have been from Corgi registered plumbers.