PDA

View Full Version : Ending a periodic tenancy

pixie02
30-04-2007, 10:00 AM
I am a landlord looking for advice. My tenants moved in on 11/09/05 on an AST with the rent being paid to us by standing order normally reaching our account on 14th/15th of the month. The tenancy became periodic on 11/03/07, however, we now wish to sell the house. Could anyone advise me on the correct procedure, what date this has to be issued and how notice is issued (bearing in mind we live 200 miles away from the property).

Many thanks

jeffrey
30-04-2007, 10:03 AM
I am a landlord looking for advice. My tenants moved in on 11/09/05 on an AST with the rent being paid to us by standing order normally reaching our account on 14th/15th of the month. The tenancy became periodic on 11/03/07, however, we now wish to sell the house. Could anyone advise me on the correct procedure, what date this has to be issued and how notice is issued (bearing in mind we live 200 miles away from the property).

Many thanks

Have you already issued a s.21 Notice?
If not, do so. If served before 11 May, state that possession required "after 10 July"- it has to give T at least two months' advance warning AND that date must be the end of a rent period too.

Poppy35
30-04-2007, 12:25 PM
alternatively you could have a word with the tenants that you are looking to sell and as long as they dont mind you could put the house upfor sale without issuing them a S21. You could then issue a S21 when you have a buyer thus maximising your rental income. Otherwise you could give notice to the tenants they leave and you have no sniff of a buyer thus no income.

most tenants i have dealt with tend to be ok with the above situation. Of course if u dont serve notice you run the risk of them giving notice also.

P.Pilcher
30-04-2007, 12:35 PM
And also you run the risk, having found a buyer who expects vacant possession, of not being able to get the tenants out when you expect and need a 2-3 month court battle to do so, and/or they damage the property before they leave so you have to re-negociate sale prices with your buyer. If you want to cut your cake and eat it..........

IMHO, obtain a buyer by all means, but DO NOT sign a contract offering vacant possession until the tenant has moved out and returned vacant possession to you.

P.P.

Poppy35
30-04-2007, 15:37 PM
of course i agree with the above but as long as the estate agents inform any prospective purchaser that tenants are in the house it should be ok - you may also end up sellling to an investor who wants your tenants - as frequently happens with us.

but like PP says above if dont sign contracts until they are out - your sol should not let you anyway.

only you know your tenants and will know the best way to proceed.

sharemaster2
04-05-2007, 08:46 AM
.. I had tought, you could sell a gouse with " Sitting Tennants" if I am right. That will be the best option so long is does not devalue the house and both the tennants and buyer (agents) don't mind. That is a safer bet, if the buyer is an Investor and knows about tennancy he or she may be more than happy to buy the house with a Tennant in it hence suffering no void periods from when he buys the house. If the tennant are good paying tennants, no reasonable investor will have any problems with it unless they want to move in themselves.:D