PDA

View Full Version : Change locks?

Molly
29-04-2007, 15:48 PM
We have finally won a possession claim to evict tenants who haven't paid rent since November. We had to go to Court last Wednesday and the judge granted us possession on Friday. We have driven past the house and the house appears vacant but their car is still on the front and upstairs windows are open. We are concerned that they have abandoned the car and the house, but don't know for sure. Can we now change the locks?

Bel
29-04-2007, 17:01 PM
If the date has passed for possession that was granted by the judge, you can go in and change the locks as long as no one is actually in the house. If someone is in there you must leave.

Ericthelobster
29-04-2007, 17:04 PM
If the date has passed for possession that was granted by the judge, you can go in and change the locks as long as no one is actually in the house. If someone is in there you must leave.So you can camp out outside the property in a car and wait until they pop out to Tesco's, leaving all their possessions behind, and then you're allowed to just nip in sharpish and change the locks?

Poppy35
29-04-2007, 18:16 PM
no, if you think they have left then you must be a Notice of Abandonment on the door giving them 14 days notice to contact you If they dont then you can enter and change locks if the property is empty. If not then you must get a warrant from courts for entry with bailiff and then get locks changed.

taheemr
30-04-2007, 08:35 AM
Hello all,

My T is due to leave under her own steam this week before a Poss date has even been granted, what should process should be followed when I take back the property, and given that she has left of her own accord does she have any come-back at a later date.

Many Thanks

Molly
30-04-2007, 08:45 AM
Our solicitor has advised us that we can go ahead and change locks as neighbours have confirmed that the tenants definately seem to have moved. We will put a notice of abandonment on the door though to cover ourselves, giving them 14 days to contact us or we will dispose of items left in the house. Thanks for your advice.

Poppy35
30-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Hello all,

My T is due to leave under her own steam this week before a Poss date has even been granted, what should process should be followed when I take back the property, and given that she has left of her own accord does she have any come-back at a later date.

Many Thanks

make sure she hands back the keys to you, maybe get her to sign something to state she has handed back the keys and you both keep copies of this. Then change the locks.