PDA

View Full Version : Letting Agent Protected Deposit

Tweedle Dum
29-04-2007, 09:51 AM
To shorten a lengthy story, my agent has protected my tenants deposit without consulting me. He believes that he has to do this by law but I'm certain the onus lies on me not him. My main concern however is the supply of legal info to the tenant. I believe this is still my responsibility even though I've never even seen the deposit. I'm unsure what prescribed information I need to forward to the tenant and I'm not sure what info the agent is going to supply. Any answers to a rather muddled question will be gratefully received.

P.Pilcher
29-04-2007, 12:15 PM
May I refer you to:http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/FAQ/index.php?action=artikel&cat=2&id=7&artlang=en which summarises our collective knowledge about such matters at the moment.

P.P.

Poppy35
29-04-2007, 18:30 PM
basically your agent is acting on your behalf and that why he has protected the deposit and im sure all the necessary info and prescribed info would be in the Tenancy Agreement. Ask for a copy asap and then you can be assured that he is acting correctly.

Esio Trot
01-05-2007, 08:56 AM
basically your agent is acting on your behalf and that why he has protected the deposit and im sure all the necessary info and prescribed info would be in the Tenancy Agreement. Ask for a copy asap and then you can be assured that he is acting correctly.

It isn't in ours - TDSL are saying DO NOT alter your tenancy agreement (at least that's what they said when I last looked). We have constructed a separate form, followed the Statutory Instrument SI 797:2007 paragraph structure and called it a Section 213 Notice. It has a second duplicate copy for tenants to sign as receipt.

It is MANDATORY for landlords (via their agent if managed/agreed) to supply the information, but only a REQUEST for tenant to acknowledge receipt. We are taking a strong line and are treating return of the duplicate as a REQUIREMENT (self protection in case the tenants decide to get stroppy at a later date).

tobylaura@btinternet.com
02-05-2007, 16:56 PM
the TDS is in effect