PDA

View Full Version : Heating

L123
28-04-2007, 15:43 PM
What authority if any does the landlord have in the use of excessive heating.

I let rooms out individually, so therefore its easier to have the gas bill in my name. However one tenant likes to keep the heating on excessively even if its a hot day like today!!. I read somewhere that in the Housing Act 2004 there was something relating to Energy efficiency and wastage, and its the Landlords responsibilty to reduce or minimise energy wastage. Could anybody clarify this?

attilathelandlord
28-04-2007, 15:49 PM
Well, that means putting in an energy efficient boiler or insulating the house.

It doesn't mean you can limit use of the facilities.

If the tenant is taking the michael then issue notice.

L123
28-04-2007, 16:15 PM
the contract was for two months, and 6 weeks of the contract have passed. 2 weeks ago they asked if they could stay on and i agreed verbally that we would sign a new contract once it ends. Can i still give 2 months notice? Could i say that i do not want to renew the contract and ask them to leave when their contract ends? (its supposed to end in 3 weeks time).

attilathelandlord
28-04-2007, 18:02 PM
Minimum contract in the UK is six months, you cannot issue notice to end the tenancy before the six months is up.

justaboutsane
29-04-2007, 07:19 AM
Minimum contract in the UK is six months, you cannot issue notice to end the tenancy before the six months is up.

There is no Minimum contract! .. BUT you cannot issue a section to expire before the end of 6 months!

L123
29-04-2007, 11:08 AM
The contract is actually a joint contract with two tenants. One of the tenant (unfortunately not the problem tenant) was only going to stay for the 2 month contract period and will therefore be leaving soon, as this is why only a 2month contract was signed in the first place. The other tenant has said she's found a replacement to take her place. Do i have any grounds on not renewing the tenancy and issuing notice?

jeffrey
29-04-2007, 21:22 PM

England/Wales: no. There is NO minimum; it's just that s.21 procedure does not bite on shorter term.

Rest of UK: don't know. Scotland and NI have entirely different landlord & tenant laws.

attilathelandlord
30-04-2007, 16:56 PM
Effectively the same thing then.

jeffrey
30-04-2007, 20:02 PM
Effectively the same thing then.

Er? As one of the two occupants was to leave after two months, a two-month letting seems eminently sensible.
Not the same thing as six-month let, is it?

attilathelandlord
01-05-2007, 05:58 AM
One of the tenants may well feel like leaving after two months but if the other continues to stay there then the tenancy continues and the six month fixed period kicks in.

Are you seriously suggesting that a contract can become periodic after only two months?

I think not.