PDA

View Full Version : utility bills

shutdown
27-04-2007, 18:02 PM
Hi,

just a quick question.

If a tenant moves into a property and fails to notify the relevant utility companies of his occupancy and resposibilty for the supply of service and the account is left in the landlords name and the landlord is chased for the outstanding money - upon discovery at the end of the teancy is the landlord eligable to deduct the outstanding/or paid for (by the landlord) amount from the deposit?

I know if the bill is in the tenants name its another matter.

If a teant knowingly uses a supply that he isnt paying for, is there a misuse act that covers this? I think there is such an act for telecomms? As I recently heard of cases with regard to wifi networks and people sitting outside addresses and tapping into other peoples boradband.

Shutdown

justaboutsane
27-04-2007, 18:13 PM
You should always check with Utilities that they have been changed over by calling with your final meter readings. IF the tenant leaves it in the Landlords name most utility companies allow for you to send the signed AST and they will usually bill the tenant and chase accordingly.

swahmed
28-04-2007, 16:06 PM
I know its abit of hassle but the best thing to do is when the AST has been signed is to phone the Util Co's yourself. You will need to send them copies of your AST but you know what, the more responsibility you take away from your T the less headache you will have in the long run.

cillitbanger
29-04-2007, 12:01 PM
I'm a tenant and ive been told by british gas that the tenant is not liable to pay any bills until the landlord has given their final reading.
So be warned!

P.Pilcher
29-04-2007, 12:07 PM
Provided the AST signed by your tenant specifically makes him liable for payment of gas, electricity, water and council tax accounts,then you would, IMHO, be entitled to deduct the cost of these from his deposit.

P.P.

Ericthelobster
29-04-2007, 16:57 PM
I know its abit of hassle but the best thing to do is when the AST has been signed is to phone the Util Co's yourself. You will need to send them copies of your ASTEh?

I always make a point of phoning up myself to provide details when tenants move in and out - not once have I ever been asked by any utility company to send in a copy of an AST.

Poppy35
29-04-2007, 18:18 PM
as a LA the only time we have been asked to fax in an AST is when the prevous tenant has left and not paid bills for the duration they have lived there. But other than that we have never been asked.