PDA

View Full Version : change in the way rent is paid?

rk164
27-04-2007, 15:08 PM
I have been renting my property for the past 5 months managed through an agent. The AST is for 12 months with a 6 month break clause. The rent is due 6 months in advance, the first rent was paid on moving in and the second is due at 6 months. The remaining 6 months rent is due in a few weeks

I have just spoken to the agent who has told me that instead of paying 6 months rent the tenant would like to pay 2 months rent. Then 2 months later she would pay another for another 2 months etc. I was asked if I was happy to do this.

I am not totally opposed to this idea, however how does this affect the AST which states that the rent is due 6 months in advance?

Thanks in advance

rk164

jeffrey
27-04-2007, 15:18 PM
Either you are agreeing a variation (which binds you) or a concession (which doesn't).
Better to tell Agent and T, in writing (to avoid later argument), that -as a concession- you are prepared to accept rent every two months BUT that you reserve the right to revert to six-monthly basis if any two-monthly payment is late by more than a day. That way, you improve potential for any necessary s.8 Notice.