PDA

View Full Version : Can tenant give Notice during first six months?

POLO
27-04-2007, 12:38 PM
im renting a property and its on a six month contract can i move before the 6 months if i give notice?

jeffrey
27-04-2007, 13:17 PM
im renting a property and its on a six month contract can i move before the 6 months if i give notice?

1. Is property in England/Wales? Law is different elsewhere.
2. Usual answer is "no"- unless Tenancy Agreement gives you that right (unlikely).
3. You signed-up as T for six months. You would be rightly annoyed if L tried wrongly to turn you out before then. Why should L have to let you out early, then?
4. However, you could always ask L to accept an early surrender. If he feels well-disposed towards you, and if he thinks that he could find a new - willing - T to replace you, he might agree.
5. Of course, you can literally move out whenever you want. The problem is that rent would continue to run for full six months, and you would have to pay it in full, unless the tenancy is surrendered early by agreement.

POLO
27-04-2007, 13:26 PM
ok i was only enquiring as i though u could if you gave 1 months notice thats all wasnt sure.i'll see if there is a break clause.

choices
28-04-2007, 09:24 AM
Hi Polo,
Does this mean you have found a landlord happy to let you keep your dog?
Hopefully, for you, this is the case, no more fretting for you then.
:)

POLO
10-05-2007, 15:40 PM
Well A Friend Will Be Buying A House To Rent To Us But I Think Ill Have To Wait Untill The 6 Months Is Up Don't I As She Knows About My Baby!:)

jeffrey
10-05-2007, 15:49 PM
Well A Friend Will Be Buying A House To Rent To Us But I Think Ill Have To Wait Untill The 6 Months Is Up Don't I As She Knows About My Baby!:)

Yes- you don't have to remain there but the rent will run on to term end (unless L lets you off early).

ALSO: It's Quite Hard To Read The Text If You Over-Capitalise Everything.
Only USA newspaper headlines look like that; please try not to.

RichieP
10-05-2007, 16:02 PM
ALSO: It's Quite Hard To Read The Text If You Over-Capitalise Everything.
Only USA newspaper headlines look like that; please try not to.

I've noticed that happen with one or two people who post on forums. They're not doing it deliberately.