PDA

View Full Version : Tenancy ended, T vacated, Agent won't send deposit

Joey_Manningtree
25-04-2007, 13:51 PM
I left a property on 19th march signed a form saying i left it in good condition. I was told i would have the deposit within a month as this was a legal requirement. I have been told many times the cheque has been sent but there is still no sign. I have been dealing with the landlords agent. Where should i go from here?

jeffrey
25-04-2007, 14:29 PM
I left a property on 19th march signed a form saying i left it in good condition. I was told i would have the deposit within a month as this was a legal requirement. I have been told many times the cheque has been sent but there is still no sign. I have been dealing with the landlords agent. Where should i go from here?

Small Claims Court, part of County Court.

Joey_Manningtree
25-04-2007, 14:40 PM
Should i make the claim against the agent or the landlord?

jeffrey
25-04-2007, 14:46 PM
Should i make the claim against the agent or the landlord?

Where is your money- which one of them has it?
Best to issue proceedings against both, to be on safe side, then let them squabble between themselves.

P.Pilcher
25-04-2007, 15:12 PM
The action should be taken against the landlord as it was with him that you had a contract. You had no contract with the agent - only the landlord had one, so if the agent has indeed got your money, you claim off the LL and he sues his agent.

P.P.

Joey_Manningtree
25-04-2007, 15:19 PM
The deposit is held by the agent on behalf of the landlord

DianeB
25-04-2007, 16:04 PM
Are they saying that they sent the cheque but it got lost in the post? Can you ask them to cancel previous cheque and send you a new one.

Joey_Manningtree
25-04-2007, 16:33 PM
They did say the cheque was sent on 23rd march then 12th april then 15th. On monday this week they have apparently sent a bacs i should have the funds in my acc friday at the latest but i still think they are lying.

Colincbayley
25-04-2007, 16:36 PM
If it was sent via bacs then you would have the money the same day, If it was sent via bank transfer then Friday at the latest.

Give them until Friday, if not in your account, DECLARE WAR via the small claims court.