PDA

View Full Version : Housing Benefit

gernant
05-07-2005, 16:21 PM
If Housing Benefit is being claimed by a tenant,but not paid on to the
landlord, does this H/B become an income for the tenant. And therfore
subject to the regulations on tenants other benefits.

davidjohnbutton
05-07-2005, 17:14 PM
No - Housing Benefits staff I have spoken to have always maintained that it is the tenant's money and that there is no legal obligation to spend it on rent.

I have long opined on the subject that a tenant receiving HB and spending it on other things than their rent liability should be made a criminal offence. HB must be paid direct to the landlord where 8 weeks arrears of rent exist or where the person is judged to be vulnerable or incapable of managing their affairs.

gernant
05-07-2005, 21:23 PM
No - Housing Benefits staff I have spoken to have always maintained that it is the tenant's money and that there is no legal obligation to spend it on rent.

I have long opined on the subject that a tenant receiving HB and spending it on other things than their rent liability should be made a criminal offence. HB must be paid direct to the landlord where 8 weeks arrears of rent exist or where the person is judged to be vulnerable or incapable of managing their affairs.

Thanks for your reply DJB
I agree with your veiws on H/B , but am informed from a previous case, that
because H/B was not payed by the tenant as rent , the benefits agency then
judged it as income. Monies then had to be repaid because it affected the tenants other benefit claims.