PDA

View Full Version : HMO Locks On doors what type ? Not HMO what type ?

missel
03-07-2005, 08:02 AM
Hi

Iam trying to re-mortgage my already rented property , but have been told by the broker, that : when the surveyour comes, i'll have to have the right kind of locks... Okay, this is too long to be explained and it's not the case right now .
In other words the house has to appear not as an HMO .

Pls, tell me : what are the kind of locks that make the house not appear as an HMO ? Perhaps those that don't work by catch ? those that anybody can fit "on the door" , wheter inside or outside ?

In the house i own and live, i got locks too ( a typical lock, where you close the door only if you want to, from inside or outside )
The ones i got in the HMO house act as a latch / catch, and if people forget the keys inside they have to call me , or jump from the window..

Thanks

j.

red40
04-07-2005, 09:07 AM
Why not ask your broker what his interpratation of 'right kind of locks' is, there are quite a few locks on the market, yale locks, mortice with thumb turn, etc, but putting any lock on an internal door would/should automatically draw attention from the surveyor as to possibility of the property being a HMO.

All final exit doors from a HMO or internal entrance doors to individual flats/bedsits should be immediately available for use without recourse to keys anyway.

missel
04-07-2005, 23:45 PM
i guess a lock with tumb turn should do the job,as any family house is likely to use one
thanx red 40