PDA

View Full Version : Student Lodger -what to charge?

Lord Alfred
30-06-2005, 08:40 AM
We are new to this. Our 16-yr-old sons' school (Herts) asked us if we were interested in accommodating a 16-yr-old forign lad whilst on 6th form "gap" year. He'll have his own room, and we will provide all meals except school lunches, and do his laundry and ironing, and will help with improving his English (not in a formal sort of way) and introduce him to English "culture". Is £125 p w a fair price to ask?

Alfred

dazalock
30-06-2005, 09:19 AM
I cant see how anyone here is going to be able to answer that. It depends on numerous factors, market forces, local area, quality of accomodation, your overheads and so on. I would suggest talking to the college he is attending and ask the going rates being charged, or maybe ask around if anyone else is doing the same thing. Then make a decision based on the pro's and con's of what you are offering.

Tax Accountant
30-06-2005, 09:36 AM
How long is it for? If it is for only a few weeks, I think it's OTT for a 16 year old supposedly on a gap year. It is not only about money. It is also about building friendship and charging full price is not the ideal start to hopefully what could prove to be a lasting friendship between the two families. Remember, your son may need a reciprocal arrangement.

Ramnik

RichieP
30-06-2005, 11:03 AM
Check with your local social services department how much they pay for fostering.

Andy Parker
30-06-2005, 11:04 AM
Lord Alfred - I'd do it for nothing but I think you'll be ok chasrging a tenner son.

Poppy
30-06-2005, 12:30 PM
Something to think about:

I live in London. My adult lodger pays £90 per week for a room which includes bills (ie gas, electric, council tax, tv licence). The lodger buys their own groceries. This is a business deal between consenting adults.

Have you truly costed your bills, accommodation, food and labour to be £125 per week?

Are you doing this to cover your expenses and provide a safe, family environment in the way that you hope someone else would do for your child?

Or what?

Jennifer_M
30-06-2005, 13:07 PM
£500/month for a room, 1-2 meals a day and laundry ??

My fiance and I used to live on £700 a month renting a flat and paying all the bills (not that it was easy but we were 2) when we came out of Uni !

Poppy
30-06-2005, 13:18 PM
Actually if the rent is £125 per week, then that is £541.66 per calendar month.

ngadef
30-06-2005, 13:43 PM
The school must have an idea how much this costs

Surely they are running a scheme not a one off

You need to ask them more about the scheme

For a start they should interview you
& investigate whether you are suitable

They can't be running this on such an ad hoc basis

All very amateurish; a private school I bet

Lord Alfred
05-07-2005, 08:39 AM
My thanks to everyone for the replies. The school is not private, but just acts to introduce the parties. It is quite rare that this happens, just once before I think. There is no need for interview, as they know us well, and we have a good track record of care and understanding: we have had pupils staying overnight or weekends on many occasions, and, in loco parentis, have had to deal with minor crises (such as police arrest!) from time to time. It is up to us to negotiate directly with the family involved. It is for a full academic year (1 September - early June, except for Easter and Christmas holidays) The school told us that the charge for a similar arrangement 2 years ago was £110.
The planned £125 will cover all meals except school lunches, all laundry, heating, landline-landline telephone calls, TV and radio in his room, computer in the room, informal sound support in the English language and education in aspects of British culture (including trips to cultural events), as well as a caring family environment. Our cuisine is famous amongst our boys' friends! Very rarely do we open packets, chips and junk food. This will be a major commitment and responsibility and will involve a big change in the "chemistry" of our home, and considerable labour and effort on our part.
Alf

zoe
06-07-2005, 09:31 AM
Lord Alfred,

So why did you bother asking here ?

Zoe

Lord Alfred
08-07-2005, 13:31 PM
Was that not clear in my OP zoe? Direct expenses are fairly straightforward to assess, but I was and still am unsure how to rate the other factors. As you can see from the replies, one can decide to just cover one's costs, hope to enjoy welcoming someone in as a family member, and hope for some reciprocal arrangement, or be more pragmatic, and look at it as providing a service for a stranger for which a fee is due. I don't know the details of the £110 deal - that was a private arrangement too.

Alfred

joobles
08-07-2005, 23:43 PM
Well I'm not an expert on the subject, but I do think that you may be asking rather a lot of money. How new are the tv and computer etc? How may trips are planned and to where (cultural)? All of these things need to be considered. Most University halls of residence charge about £3000-£3500 for an ensuite catered (breakfast and dinner) room with access to the univeristy network and internet. As they are a student, depending on how much you anticipate costs of various trips will cost and also cost of providing tv, computer etc I would not charge much very more than this. How much (s)he or the parents can afford is also important. Will you be providing pocket money, or will the student be bringing this? Will you want to buy the child gifts and treats out of your own pocket or want his parents to pay for these.

I would not go into this trying to make a profit, surely you will just want to break even. After all, the student can enrich your life (and the lives of your children?) with their culture and language, just as you can educate them.

My personal opinion (take it or leave it) is that you should treat this child as your own. Charge as much as you can afford (to break even, or even less if you wish) and form a friendship with the family. It could even offer opportunities for your own child(ren) to visit another culture in the future. Really though, it all depends on your expectations and what you want to get out of the experience...

Andy Parker
09-07-2005, 10:53 AM
We used to do all the exchange visits for free - what happened to good old-fashioned hospitality?

Lord Alfred
11-07-2005, 12:04 PM
Andy, they still happen, and we'd be on for that, but this isn't a simple 2-week exchange. It's not even a complicated 3-term exchange. If it was, then we wouldn't be thinking of charging. There's no exchange involved, and the parents expect to pay for board and labour.
joobles, you make some very good points, which match my own thoughts very closely. Yes, no doubt there will be "extras" for which we wouldn't charge, or expect him to pay, just as if he were one of the family.
Thanks to both of you.
Alf

Andy Parker
11-07-2005, 22:55 PM
Lord Alfred - Your point is taken.It is pity it is just one-way and for so long.