PDA

View Full Version : Selling leasehold but cannot find title deeds

Tallulahballulah
21-03-2007, 20:00 PM
I am in the process of selling my leasehold flat and am unable to locate the title deeds. The building society who we have our mortgage with say they do not have them. Can anyone tell me what i can do.

jeffrey
22-03-2007, 09:21 AM
I am in the process of selling my leasehold flat and am unable to locate the title deeds. The building society who we have our mortgage with say they do not have them. Can anyone tell me what i can do.

1. Which solicitors last acted for you re conveyancing? Contact them, as they may have retained deeds in vaults.
2. If sols. don't have the deeds, ask them if they ever did and, if so, to whom the deeds were sent/when/by what method.
3. BS and sols. cannot both reply negatively. Sols. must have received deeds when you acquired.
4. Also, assuming that your ownership is registered, contact HMLR and obtain official copy entries (register and plan) for £6 electronic order or £12 otherwise. These should at least show that you own the property even in absence of deeds, and a copy lease can also be obtained (at a cost- £10 electronic order or £20 otherwise).

conveyancingexpert
25-03-2007, 14:32 PM
If your property is unregistered and you still cannot track down who has your deeds then kick up a fuss with your building society as reconstituting the title of your property when it is unregistered can be expensive. You should be able to get your Building Society to pay for this if they are the last people to have control of the deeds.

Also try contacting your landlord as they usual hold a counterpart copy of the lease which is identical to the one that will be with your deeds.

Hope this helps

jeffrey
26-03-2007, 09:21 AM
Also, if property is within pre-1974 Yorkshire, secondary info available from West/East/North Yorkshire Archive Services (=one per Riding).

jeffrey
01-06-2007, 13:24 PM

So what happened in the end?