PDA

View Full Version : Any Landlord Regulations for New UPVC Window Install?

Summer House
11-06-2013, 11:29 AM
Can't see anything on Forums or Frequently asked Questions about Window Suppliers / Installations.

The existing wooden windows in my rental house are shot and I'm talking with a UPVC Windows supplier tomorrow about specification and installation details.

Are there any regulations with regards to installation of new windows that I would need to ensure are adhered to before I enter into purchasing with the Window Supplier please?

Any other considerations I should take on board before going ahead please?

Thanks,

Summer House

Interlaken
11-06-2013, 14:27 PM
All window suppliers know about fitting safety glass in windows that are oversized or come low down in a building. There are not specific regulations.

I would look out for a company that supplies Rehau or similar standard of extrusion and who are members of a trade body and offer a 10 year guarantee (usually backed up by an insurance company).

Get at least 3 quotes and don't bother with national companies like Anglian, Everest etc.- it's all pyramid selling. Check out local manufacturing companies via yell.com or similar without fancy car driving sales reps and ask to visit some of their recent installations before making a choice.

grouse
11-06-2013, 18:12 PM
I would agree with above and forget the national companies.

I normally expect to pay about £400 per window (average). Pick a FENSA registered local company as you will need the certificate for the council.

You can't make the escape from fire worse than it was, i.e. you can't replace bottom opening sash windows with top opening UPVC. I usually fit 'tilt and turn' inward opening windows as they are much easier to clean.

mk1fan
14-06-2013, 12:03 PM
There are plenty of specific regulations regarding new windows.

Legally, you do have the choice of ordering windows yourself, fitting them and getting them signed off by Buildig Control. Alternatively you can use a FENSA certified installer who'll certifiy the installation as compliant.

A FENSA installer should know what 'special' windows you'll require if any and advise you accordingly.

If you do neither of the above then you'll have potential issues come sale time.

Also, you'll need to update the EPC.

The above assumes the property is in England or Wales.

ETA: uPVC windows are not maintenance free, just low maintenance.

midlandslandlord
15-06-2013, 10:08 AM
My comments:

If you want long term economy don't go for huge units, as many DG units blow and it will need multiple men to replace them. Stick to ones that a single person can handle.

Expect your DG units to blow in 2-20 years. Doing the mounts properly makes a big difference.

If you install pivot windows make sure they are the Scottish type that can be cleaned from the inside without leaning out or needing a ladder.

Some councils may have their own regulations imposed via Landlord Licensing or other schemes. They won't necessarily be rational or enforced.

This, for example, is Havering on properties which they take on through the Council owned renting agency. It is a recipe for killing children in fires by preventing escape from bedrooms in burning buildings:

"5 All windows should open at a min of 1.75m above floor level and must have an openable light to the air at 1/20th of the floor area in all habitable rooms.

Windows above ground level, which open outwards and could, present a danger to a child to be fitted with a window restrictor mechanism."

http://www.havering.gov.uk/Pages/Services/Social-letting-agency.aspx

while the building regs say:

The means of escape should be considered for any new window installed to an extension or existing dwelling. If an escape window is required then criteria set out below should be followed. It is also generally good practice to replace any window on the first floor that is not used as an escape window with an escape window.

See below for the general criteria for egress windows:

Width and Height - Either of these are not to be any less than 450mm
Clear Openable Area - No less than 0.33m²
Cill height - No less than 800mm and no more than 1100mm from floor level.
Only one window per room is generally required.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/doorswindows

"Breathing windows" with integrated heat recovery ventilation and electronic control will be an interesting option, but are not really quite here yet.

Also, you'll need to update the EPC.

Not necessarily. You have to have one; I know of no law that says it has to be accurate (insofar as the EPC definition *allows* it to be accurate).

You can't make the escape from fire worse than it was, i.e. you can't replace bottom opening sash windows with top opening UPVC.

I understand that you *can* do that, as long as you meet the legal minimum.

ML