PDA

View Full Version : Mail Redirection

info addict
19-03-2007, 10:35 AM
I have a tenant who has recently vacated and moved abroad. I have been told that they had set up mail redirection, via the post office, to a relatives address in the UK. This is the address I have also been given for the return of the deposit.

The property is currently empty, but to be re tenanted early April.

Mail for the previous tenant keeps arriving and I am redirecting to the UK address provided. However, I don't want this to continue, especially with the new tenants soon to arrive.

I have written to the previous tenant via email and notified them of the situation. But just wanted to ask what other landlords do about redirection of mail?

jeffrey
19-03-2007, 10:47 AM
I have a tenant who has recently vacated and moved abroad. I have been told that they had set up mail redirection, via the post office, to a relatives address in the UK. This is the address I have also been given for the return of the deposit.

The property is currently empty, but to be re tenanted early April.

Mail for the previous tenant keeps arriving and I am redirecting to the UK address provided. However, I don't want this to continue, especially with the new tenants soon to arrive.

I have written to the previous tenant via email and notified them of the situation. But just wanted to ask what other landlords do about redirection of mail?

If there is mail redirection, why is Royal Mail not redirecting? Nothing for previous T should arrive if so!

info addict
19-03-2007, 10:58 AM
When we were at the property this weekend, a letter from the Post office regarding redirection had arrived (it said it was about redirection on the envelope). It however did not have the previous tenants correct surname on it? (possibly their relatives?)

It did say not to redirect it, but we did anyway, so their relatives could open it. It didn't seem like a viable option to just send it back to the Post Office, as, if somebody requests mail redirection, they wouldn't be at the property to collect this Post Office letter?

Beeber
19-03-2007, 11:06 AM
Redirection takes a week or two to kick in after the person registers and you've indicated that there is an error on the name.

Bring it to the attention of the original tenant by writing to him at his forwarding address and let him know that he probably needs to contact the royal mail himself to correct it.

Let him know that your new tenants are not obliged by law to forward mail on that arrives to the property.

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/jump3?catId=400144&mediaId=15400357

you could ask the new tenants to forward any missed mail onto him until the mistake is corrected but you can't really rely on their goodwill.

rewop46
19-03-2007, 11:36 AM
info addict

Be prepared for this to go on forever:

This is the way it works:

The Post office may or may not redirect the mail, however many times you or your tenant tells them to.

It's usually not in the tenants' best interest to chase up this service anyway. Even the honest ones may be happy for their bills to not reach their new address.

Debt collection agencies will continue to send letters to your address for about a year. I'm not suggesting you open the letters, that's for your conscience but look at the return address on the back of the envelope. Put the letter in another envelope and send it back explaining who you are, invite a rep to met you if need be but above all, give them another valid address; parents, wife etc; the genuine one if you have it. Be extra vigilant with the Council Tax people, deal with them first. Once they set the wheels in motion very little can stop them.

Make up a spread sheet or use a label maker to print out loads of "GONE AWAY" labels.

Emphasise to your new tenant that he MUST give you all letters not addressed to him. I'm not joking, some may be in your name. See my "Tenants Charter" on "Tenants from Hell".

That advice is based on 16 years of experience. (and 3 days on this forum!)

rewop