PDA

View Full Version : Novice Landlord - renewing directly with tenants (how to deal with agent?)

joby
18-03-2007, 19:53 PM
I am currently the landlord of a property and the tenants have been in place for 3 years via a high street lettings agent. The contract is for Rent collection, 3 monthly inspections and a final inspection and they change 12.5% for that & 6 monthly renewal fees of £90.

I was hoping to deal with the tenants directly at the end of this tenancy agreement in May and the tenants wish to deal with me directly but unfortunately the agents are now aware of this.

The termination clause in the contract is:

"Each of the Landlord and the Agent has the right to terminate this Agreement when a tenant vacates at the end of a tenancy, on the occasion of a material breach of the Terms and Conditions of this Agreement during a tenancy, such termination to be advised in writing and to b subject of at lest 14 days during which period breach may be rectified and the termination cancelled by agreement."

The lettings agent has advised that the tenants are unable to stay on at the property which is understandable unless they move out at which point the tenancy agreemen ends.

The tenants are determined to avoid continue paying renewal fees etc etc and said that they would actually be prepared to physically move out of the property at the end of this AST (2 months notice have been issued already by the agent on my behalf) so the agent can do the final inspection and then move straight back in again using a contract directly with us.

My question is if the agent would still be likely to come after me / the tenants and how long would they actually need to remain out of the property for before going back in under a new AST?

I don't particularly want to wind up the agency as they've not been too bad but it's costing too much money to retain them as I barely cover the mortgage (it is a repayment mortgage as it was only ever intended to be rented out 3 years ago as a stop gap)

Does anyone have ay experience / advice on this situation please?

Thanks

Bel
19-03-2007, 00:26 AM
From the part you have quoted, it seems that all they have to do is vacate the property. It doesnt require them never to return. I think that they should be able to move right back in, after the coast is clear!!

But then "Agent forcing landlord to get rid of the tenant " thread ; a member says that moving out and back in again wont hold up in court.

sober
19-03-2007, 02:10 AM
Why can the landlord not renegotiate the fee - afterall they are not having to do any extra searching for the replacement tenants; Keeping a tenant happy for 3 years is a credit to the property itself and the landlord - so why should only the agent benefit from it.

And if they dont play ball, dis-instruct them from management and rent collection if that is what they are charging 12.5% for.

If the renewal fee is only £90 - it shouldn't be so bad as paying the full 12.5%

I would never go into any perpetual fee based contract with any agent - no matter how good they are.

Best of luck
Sober