PDA

View Full Version : New inventory just because windows replaced?

kippykig
18-03-2007, 18:08 PM
I'm sorry if this is a silly question but we have been renting from our landlord for 3 years now and have never had any problems at all. Recently we have had double glazing fitted which was a bonus. We have been contacted by the letting agents stating that they need to do a new inventory because of this. It seems odd to me that they want to do a new inventory when the only thing that has been changed to the property is the windows.
My question is, is this normal and do we need to agree to let them do a new inventory. My worry is that they are asking to do this as the landlord might want to get rid of us before the contract is up.
Thank you in advance.

Worldlife
18-03-2007, 18:54 PM
When did the letting agents last check the condition of the property and the inventory?

In any case on completion of the double glazing work they will need to check that it is in new, undamaged and in good working order and may expect you to countersign the inventory to confirm this.

For a long term tenancy there is nothing sinister in routine checks.

Refer to you tenancy contract for the landlord's rights and your rights concerning such inspections.

kippykig
18-03-2007, 21:05 PM
Thanks for the reply.
The only time an inventory was taken was when we moved in.

We have had the Landlord and the letting agents round on several occasions for various things over the years and don't mind at all as long as we have notice- need to make sure no pants are left lying about. :D

The landlord did actually make an unexpected call one Sunday to see the new windows but as we were having a lazy Sunday, we weren't exactly dressed for the visit. He didn't actually ask to come in but I think expected to be invited. It's because of this that I am a bit worried. Maybe he thought I had something to hide.
Anyway, thanks again for the reply.

Ericthelobster
18-03-2007, 21:54 PM
My worry is that they are asking to do this as the landlord might want to get rid of us before the contract is up.I really can't see why; if they did want to get rid of you why would that mean they want to do an inventory now? I suspect they just want to update it to reflect the changes.

If you do get a new inventory to sign, just be sure you read it carefully before doing so, and compare it with the old one.