PDA

View Full Version : compensation for tenant

valH
16-03-2007, 12:08 PM
In January the boiler in one of the rental flats was condemned and had to be replaced. Bad time to get reliable plumbing help so the tenant was without hot water and heating for a month. Obviouisly she has asked for compensation but has rejected an offer of £250 (rental is £550) - she has asked for the full month's rental, saying she had to return to her parent's home for the month, incurring travelling expenses to and from work when she had chosen the flat because of its close proximity to her employment. She has politely but firmly stated that unless she receives this she will take legal advice. I feel she has a valid claim, but my son whose flat it is, is not in agreement. What comments please from other landlords.

Paragon
16-03-2007, 12:30 PM
I would give her the full month's rent. I am sure your son could have found someone, if he was willing to pay the price. Your son won't have to pay taxes on the £550, so not as much as he thinks. It will save a lot of hassle later. He will probably have to pay it anyway, plus possibly costs.

rewop46
16-03-2007, 12:36 PM
You supply hot water and heating! What is the world coming to? No wonder tenants are becoming picky:eek:

Seriously, £250 is a generous offer. Can't comment on her claim but if one of these no win-no fee guys pick it up you may be well out of pocket - and eventually lose your (angry) tenant thus causing you more expense.

How much do you want to keep your tenant? £550 may not be much in the scheme of things (see post by paragon). Any room for further negotiation?

If I inconvenience a tenant I offer to enhance the property in some way; decoration, tiling floors or adding extra furniture etc. That way everybody wins and you keep your (grateful) tenant.

rewop

Beeber
16-03-2007, 13:09 PM
A month to replace a boiler sounds unreasonable, though granted good engineers can be hard to find at peak times.

The tenant's flat would have been uninhabitable in this period so I can see why she is loathe to pay good money for it, plus extra travel expenses on top.

It's at your son's discretion what he does. Is there much point in alienating a reliable tenant who may prefer to quit the tenancy only for your son to then experience a month long void trying to find a replacement tenant?

Some landlords are loathe to give into some tenants demands. They feel that by not pushing back on unreasonable requests, the number and type of requests will then escalate and they start to assume that they've rented a luxury serviced apartment with the landlord at their beck and call. There have been numerous threads on this forum about tenants that submit frequent complaints on minor or imaginary issues and harass the landlord.

However, in this case, the tenant has clearly been impacted by the slow replacement of the boiler. Your son can make clear that it's discretionery and that level of compensation will not be forthcoming for less serious issues that impact her accommodation in the future.

justaboutsane
16-03-2007, 14:06 PM
A MONTH!!! Thats excessive, the most we have ever left a tenant is 2 weeks and thats only cos we had been let down by plumbers etc. British Gas do an excellent fixed fee service... their Utility side is absoultue BS but I cant fault the engineer who came and fixed the boiler in our home. I believe your son should refund 80% of the rent... after all she was still able to store her belongings in the house, although in these circumstances I would refund the whole month just to be nice!

DianeB
16-03-2007, 14:24 PM
I was without a boiler for 2 weeks in last summer's extreme heat and didn't enjoy the cold showers even at that time - let alone winter.

I would get your son to swallow this one and let her off the month's rent.

DianeB
16-03-2007, 14:30 PM
You supply hot water and heating! What is the world coming to? No wonder tenants are becoming picky

Seriously, £250 is a generous offer. Can't comment on her claim but if one of these no win-no fee guys pick it up you may be well out of pocket - and eventually lose your (angry) tenant thus causing you more expense.

If I inconvenience a tenant I offer to enhance the property in some way; decoration, tiling floors or adding extra furniture etc. That way everybody wins and you keep your (grateful) tenant.

rewop

Rewop (or is it Power spelt backwards!!)
Do you mean to say that if you don't inconvenience your tenants, they have to live without any decoration or flooring:D
AKA Diane

valH
16-03-2007, 17:05 PM
Thanks people - will be passing on your comments to my son when I see him this week-end.

Ericthelobster
16-03-2007, 18:55 PM
In January the boiler in one of the rental flats was condemned and had to be replaced. Bad time to get reliable plumbing help so the tenant was without hot water and heating for a month.I wonder how long you'd have been without hot water if it had been the boiler in your own home which had failed.

rewop46
16-03-2007, 20:18 PM
Do you mean to say that if you don't inconvenience your tenants, they have to live without any decoration or flooring:D
AKA Diane

Sorry, where we come from that's classed as unfurnished (see the small print)

rewop (shhhh - I'm writing under a pseudonym)

DianeB
16-03-2007, 21:04 PM
Sorry, where we come from that's classed as unfurnished (see the small print)

rewop (shhhh - I'm writing under a pseudonym)

Oh I see.

I didn't realise broadband reached that far out:D

valH
17-03-2007, 09:34 AM
ErictheLobster - four days and I complained all the time. Our pet plumber was also very busy and he had to get a friend of a friend to come in. Should have said the boiler replacement wasn't straightforward and not a one man job. A caterpilla hoist was needed to replace the flue. However, I would probably have shopped around myself if I had been back from holiday but by the time I arrived home the quote had been accepted. The plumber was also more than a week late in starting. The quotes were arranged by the letting agent - the one who could have come in sooner was £2,600!