PDA

View Full Version : Tenant verification requirements

Andrew
16-03-2007, 08:45 AM
Hello

My prospective landlord has requested the following information for tenant verification purposes:

- last 3 months payslips;
- copy of passport ID page

Is this legally required? It seems excessive to me.

I have already provided landlord/employer references, contact details for my employer and previous landlord, bank statements, national insurance number, and driving licence number. I will also of course be providing 1 months rent in advance and a 6 week deposit. My previous landlord did not request payslips/passport photocopy, nor have I heard of this information being requested before. I have offered to provide copies of previous bank statements indicating my rent going in on a monthly basis, in lieu of payslips. I have already submitted an employer reference on headed paper. Thanks for any advice.

Regards

Andrew

attilathelandlord
16-03-2007, 09:13 AM
Pretty normal to me, I would be asking for the same.

Joannepowell
16-03-2007, 09:13 AM
Dear Andrew

Please don't take your landlords requests personally. In this day and age landlords are having to be extremely rigorous with credit checking and also with proving identity. There have been some nightmare stories lately about identity theft/impersonation (I've recently been a victim myself) and so your landlord is just doing what is necessary to protect himself. He may also be wanting to get rental guarantee insurance and so the request may have come from the insuring company.

I have recently introduced identity checks within my own procedures and so can understand fully where your landlord is coming from. If anything, you should take solace and have confidence that this landlord is being very professional.

Kind Regards

J

PS. Re the employer reference on headed paper - if the landlord is truly worth is salt he would thank you for providing your employer's reference but he will still approach the company for verification. In these days of IT it is not difficult to produce / reproduce / alter or amend anything. I could indeed write my own employer's reference if I so wished. :D

Beeber
16-03-2007, 09:55 AM
Not sure there's a legal requirement but these additional requests are likely to become the norm because of growing knowledge of the production of fake information, including fake ID and ID theft.

For example, one landlord came back to find that his tenant had remortgaged his property. Many landlords discover that their properties have been turned into cannabis factories - 1500 over the past couple of years in London alone.

There is a general tightening up of proof of income and proof of ID across many sectors, such as opening a bank account or applying for a job which now routinely requires the production of a passport on the part of the applicant.

hypotheticalmonkey
16-03-2007, 13:51 PM
i would add that there is no legal restriction on what the landlord can/cannot and will/will not ask for in terms of ID. After all, it is his/her property that you are renting and they do not have an obligation to let it to anyone whose identity and credentials they are not personally satisfied/comfortable with.

lorenzo
16-03-2007, 14:20 PM
Holy Mother of Mary!

How am I going to get a house when I lob over there next month?

Joannepowell
16-03-2007, 14:57 PM
Holy Mother of Mary!

How am I going to get a house when I lob over there next month?

Don't come knocking at my door Lorenzo - I like to keep my properties clean and tidy. Popcorn is murder to get out of carpets! I know this to be fact cos I had to do it once when me and my mates had a popcorn fight! :eek:

J

Ericthelobster
16-03-2007, 18:03 PM
My prospective landlord has requested the following information for tenant verification purposes:

- last 3 months payslips;
- copy of passport ID page

Is this legally required? It seems excessive to me.Not legally required, but I'd be asking for the same if you were renting from me, and if you refused, then guess what would happen?! Not sure why it causes you such a problem?

I normally work on a "any three of the following 5 items"-type basis, because obviously not everyone has a driving licence / passport etc: I obtain whatever evidence is available and assess it accordingly.

lorenzo
16-03-2007, 19:08 PM
Don't come knocking at my door Lorenzo - I like to keep my properties clean and tidy. Popcorn is murder to get out of carpets! I know this to be fact cos I had to do it once when me and my mates had a popcorn fight!

J
I promise not to spill beer though. :D

Paragon
16-03-2007, 19:12 PM
In addition to passports, I now have special fingerprint cards for tenants from Australia.

Joannepowell
16-03-2007, 19:23 PM
In addition to passports, I now have special fingerprint cards for tenants from Australia.

I've introduced the same requirement paragon. & only take t-totallers! :D

J

lorenzo
16-03-2007, 20:26 PM
They're all on record anyway....

...oops let that one slip out :o

I'll just put on my best public school accent to trick you all... Jolly good show, what?

Ta Ta, Pip Pip, and all that rot!

DianeB
16-03-2007, 20:54 PM
They're all on record anyway....

...oops let that one slip out

I'll just put on my best public school accent to trick you all... Jolly good show, what?

Ta Ta, Pip Pip, and all that rot!

Lose the sheep and you might get away with it;)

Worldlife
17-03-2007, 03:01 AM

Australians!!!!! :) Surely one would need a referenced DNA sample. Never trust rice and curry certificates from down under.............