PDA

View Full Version : When does tenant owe 2 months rent?

abcdefg
16-03-2007, 00:14 AM
Hi

I was wondering if any of you wonderful people would be able to clear this one up for me as I have not managed to find anything on this forum of a similar nature?!

The rent is £425 payable on 13th of the month. Outstanding rent as at 13th Feb was £305 (as they have been paying a little extra each month to catch up). S21 has been served to terminate AST on 12th May, so they have decided not to pay the rent due on 13th March surprise surprise, which of course now makes them £730 in arrears. Are you with me so far?

Now, they are HB claimants so I know we can have the payments paid directly to us when they are 2 months in arrears.

So, my question is, when do they become 2 months in arrears? Will it be on 13th April when they don't paid the rent due and will then be £1155 in arrears, or is it next week as this will be 8 weeks overdue when working it out on a daily method?

Thanks in advance

Joannepowell
16-03-2007, 00:32 AM
Hi

I was wondering if any of you wonderful people would be able to clear this one up for me as I have not managed to find anything on this forum of a similar nature?!

The rent is £425 payable on 13th of the month. Outstanding rent as at 13th Feb was £305 (as they have been paying a little extra each month to catch up). S21 has been served to terminate AST on 12th May, so they have decided not to pay the rent due on 13th March surprise surprise, which of course now makes them £730 in arrears. Are you with me so far?

Now, they are HB claimants so I know we can have the payments paid directly to us when they are 2 months in arrears.

So, my question is, when do they become 2 months in arrears? Will it be on 13th April when they don't paid the rent due and will then be £1155 in arrears, or is it next week as this will be 8 weeks overdue when working it out on a daily method?

Thanks in advance

You might want to clarify with your particular local authority but in Oldham they will pay direct after 8 weeks arrears (which is slightly less than 2mths). Mind you, it can then take them another month to actually get a payment out to you! You might find it useful to create a spreadsheet which works on the basis of weekly rent paid in arrears to know exactly when the eight weeks will have passed. That's what I did. I then completed the necessary 'arrears pay direct form' and forwarded it to the authority along with a copy of the spreadsheet.

That worked for me. At the time the hb department made the first cheque payment I was owed £1200+ in rent and received a cheque for almost £1k as they pay fortnightly in arrears in Oldham.

Hope that info helps.

Kind Regards

J