PDA

View Full Version : Gas safety question from a concerned landlord

juliet2002
26-06-2005, 19:27 PM
Concerned landlord here. When we got the gas safety check done on our property a week or so ago I found we've been sloppy with our paperwork and we were late - ie. there had been several months between this check and when the previous cert. expired. Otherwise we've kept it all certified every year, so we've got records for previous years.

Reading the 'get your safety check done OR ELSE' information on this site and elsewhere I am now WORRIED - are we liable for some huge fine? Nothing did go wrong during those months, thank heavens, but there was a period when we weren't 'covered' as it were.

Anyone else been here? I would like to hear.

Juliet

red40
26-06-2005, 21:44 PM
No Juliet you wont get any type of fine. You should make a note of when the next annual safety check is required and book it in a few weeks in advance of that date (depending on what you gas installers work load is like) so you have a continual record of the gas appliances being check within the 12 month period.

It should be one of the first entries in your new diary 2006 :o

Unless your gas installer is high tech and sends you a reminder.

Just count your blessing that nothing did happen ;)

P.Pilcher
26-06-2005, 21:59 PM
Effectively, you don't get in the "doo doo" unless some safety incident occurrs with your gas appliances which causes your tenant some form of injury. For example if the flue became blocked so that gas fire exhaust was escaping into the room and causing your tenant to become ill. Under these circumstances, if the tenant complains and you cannot produce a valid Corgi landlord's certificate you have committed a criminal offence - the penalties are severe. This is the law.
In practice, I find my Corgi inspector invariably takes his time to get around to do my inspections despite me giving him about three weeks notice in writing that they are becoming due. His attitude is: "Look, I do all your inspections and therefore have an intimate knowledge of your gas installations. I know that they are safe thus your tenants will have no problems, even if it takes me a little more than 12 months to get around to renewing your certificates".

In the aircraft industry, an aircraft is certificated to fly for a certain number of hours which has to take place within a certain number of days. The aircraft WILL be on the ground and remain there before the hours are up or before midnight on the last day of certification.
If these principles are applied to domestic gas appliances, I can see myself turning up to a tenant's address on a cold winter's night and turning off his main gas tap at midnight because his Corgi certificate had expired!

I am not condoning this period between certificates, nevertheless, it is what, in my experience, seems to happen - to me at any rate. It just depends how laid back you are prepared to be.

P.P.

juliet2002
27-06-2005, 08:55 AM
Thanks for your replies - I've just called the HSE to 'fess up and they say that it's all water under the bridge and not a problem.

It's in my diary for 2006 *two* months in advance now ...

Juliet

Ericthelobster
27-06-2005, 17:33 PM
Thanks for your replies - I've just called the HSE to 'fess up and they say that it's all water under the bridge and not a proble
Blimey Juliet - and do you make a habit of phoning the police to let them know you exceeded the speed limit some time last week?! :D

Patois
28-06-2005, 07:18 AM
Blimey Juliet - and do you make a habit of phoning the police to let them know you exceeded the speed limit some time last week?! :D

Juliet is just trying to find out what her responsibilities are and taking the Gas Safety Regs seriously which makes a refreshing change!!

Sorry Eric - I come accross so many appalling landlords! (bound to really that's my job!)
I rarely see good ones and think they should be encouraged.
This site has restored my faith somewhat but....

juliet2002
30-06-2005, 21:03 PM
No, I'm not usually so I-cannot-tell-a-lie about things like this! But we've got very strange and very troublesome ex-tenants and that is one of the sticks they were trying to beat us with (although they owe us rent and we've gone well beyond the deposit restoring the house to what it was! you may yet see other questions posted from me...), so we wanted to make sure we were 100% OK on all fronts!

Thanks for all your replies anyway, Juliet

bornlivelife
17-07-2005, 10:23 AM
i wouldnt get too worried - do you know what they do for the gas check? They open the back of the boiler and suck up any dust in a hoover - then charge £80.00. it is a total joke!

red40
17-07-2005, 15:50 PM
If that is what your gas installer is doing bornlivelife you need to be consulting with CORGI and the HSE :confused: because you are neither getting a gas check or a service, the installer should be at the very least carrying out the list below for a gas safety check:-

Check appliance for gas soundness.
Check standing and working pressure.
Check burner pressure / gas rate against manufacturers data plate/instructions.
Check for satisfactory provision of all necessary ventilation.
Test flue flow to ensure removal of products of combustion.
Check satisfactory operation of all the flame failure devices
Check for physical stability and presence and effectiveness of stability brackets if applicable.

Also as a landlord you shouldn't rely on the landlords gas safety check (GAs Safety Regulations 36(3) as your only obligation. You should also have a programme of work for on-going maintenance (Gas Safety Regulations 36(2)) of the gas appliances installed in the property.