PDA

View Full Version : Joint tenancy confused landlord.

daisy
14-03-2007, 16:37 PM
Hi I am a confused landlord - I have 2 tenants on a joint tenancy agreement, which has now become periodic. One has verbally given notice, the other was away at the time. I have not yet recieved notice in writing. What do I do if 1 tenant wants to continue the tenancy for a couple more months (ie not start again completely with a new 6 month AST), as I suspect he does?

Should I be reminding the first tenant that he needs to put his notice in writing or just hope that the tenants are able to put their differences aside and agree on a time convenient to both of them to end the tenancy? (They were friends but I think they have fallen out)

Thanks

:confused:

Poppy35
14-03-2007, 16:47 PM
Hi I am a confused landlord - I have 2 tenants on a joint tenancy agreement, which has now become periodic. One has verbally given notice, the other was away at the time. I have not yet recieved notice in writing. What do I do if 1 tenant wants to continue the tenancy for a couple more months (ie not start again completely with a new 6 month AST), as I suspect he does?

Should I be reminding the first tenant that he needs to put his notice in writing or just hope that the tenants are able to put their differences aside and agree on a time convenient to both of them to end the tenancy? (They were friends but I think they have fallen out)

Thanks

:confused:

tenants are joint and severally liable (or should be anyway) and therefore if one person gives notice in writing then the tenancy should cease. if the other person wants to stay for a few months longer then suggest they come to an agreement with the other party to continue the tenancy.

otherwise they both leave and the party that wishes to remains signs another fixed term contract, providing they can afford the place on their own.

daisy
14-03-2007, 16:57 PM
Thanks Poppy, I'm not sure whether the first tenant knows that he needs to put his notice in writing, what if he just moves out? If I tell him to put notice in writing and he does so, what position does that leave me in legally if I continue to accept rent from the second tenant?

My friends had a joint tenancy, one of them moved out, and the other one moved someone else in without telling the landlord, but the letting agency were aware and let the tenancy continue in the original names for a while.