PDA

View Full Version : secured tenancy problem

lucas
13-03-2007, 14:28 PM
hello all,i have had an ongoing problem for ages now i had a inheritence to which i was left a property in london,this was in 1993,an executor had to take care of things untill i was 25,the executor whom was a distant relative had a lodger move in 1995 but didnt draw up a tenancy agreement till the 1st of august 1997 so does she therefore become a secured tennant?the women who lives in the house has caused me nothing but trouble,the house is in need of quite a bit of work doing to the house so i did offer to completely renovate the house but she therefore had to move out the property and after the work she could move back in to which she declined so i therefore could only undertake some work that had to be done,she is constantly whining about everything you could imagine and when i take people to the house to carry out work she complains about the people who are doing the work she is a complete nightmare! and she is on benefits also and claims disability allowance for i cannot work out what for,she is in her late sixties and is the only one on the tenancy agreement but everytime i go to the property her daughter is there so i think she is also living there and she refuses me access to one of the small bedrooms,i did increase the rent 2 years ago to which she has paid but recently has become late in paying for example i usually recieve a cheque on the first of the month to cover the month previous but i havent recieved a cheque for last month yet and it is the 13th so therefore puts me in a situation about paying my rent so i am considering moving into my property in london which i need to know can i do this and can i still charge her the same rent?i am also debating wether to sell the house with a sitting tennant,any information would be very gratefull as this is driving me up the wall.

regards lucas

jeffrey
13-03-2007, 14:54 PM
Why do you call her a lodger? Did occupant co-occupy with executor or did she in fact occupy whole house?

lucas
13-03-2007, 14:56 PM
Why do you call her a lodger? Did occupant co-occupy with executor or did she in fact occupy whole house?

sorry my mistake she is tennant,she occupies whole house

jeffrey
13-03-2007, 15:03 PM
sorry my mistake she is tennant,she occupies whole house

She is therefore likely to be a Standard Assured Tenant, ie tenancy is under 1988 Act but L can't use s.21 procedure.
"Secure tenant" means something quite different.

lucas
13-03-2007, 15:54 PM
She is therefore likely to be a Standard Assured Tenant, ie tenancy is under 1988 Act but L can't use s.21 procedure.
"Secure tenant" means something quite different.

i did forget to mention that because she has utility bills from the date she moved in,which was in the year 95 surelly she has proof that she is a sucured tennant because anything before august 1997 gives her more rights?

jeffrey
13-03-2007, 16:15 PM
i did forget to mention that because she has utility bills from the date she moved in,which was in the year 95 surelly she has proof that she is a sucured tennant because anything before august 1997 gives her more rights?

Not quite.
Pre-Housing Act 1996 (in force from Feb. 1997), any new 1988 Act tenant was a SAT unless s.20 Notice served before tenancy began.
As landlords screwed up repeatedly, the law was then changed to reverse the default situation. Thereafter, a new 1988 Act tenant was an AST unless Notice served under para. 1 or 2 of new Schedule 2A OR the Agreement contained corresponding provision under para. 3 of that Schedule.
Either way, avoid expression "secure tenant" unless you mean a public sector tenant under s.79 of Housing Act 1985.