PDA

View Full Version : Compulsory electric meter

lellis
13-03-2007, 13:49 PM
Powergen fitted a meter in on of our properties after the problem tenant had finally been evicted.

The new tenant has moved in and is complaining that her electricity is costing a lot. I presume the meter is set quite high to re-coup costs incurred by the electricity supplier.

If the new tenant is prepared to pay by direct debit, could she ask the electricity supplier to remove the meter?

jeffrey
13-03-2007, 13:52 PM
Powergen fitted a meter in on of our properties after the problem tenant had finally been evicted.

The new tenant has moved in and is complaining that her electricity is costing a lot. I presume the meter is set quite high to re-coup costs incurred by the electricity supplier.

If the new tenant is prepared to pay by direct debit, could she ask the electricity supplier to remove the meter?

But every property has to be metered. How else can supplier know consumption? Do you perhaps mean a coin-operated meter?

justaboutsane
13-03-2007, 15:09 PM
But every property has to be metered. How else can supplier know consumption? Do you perhaps mean a coin-operated meter?

Coin Operated!!! OMG!!! They are ancient and way out of date lol! ... THey are now operated by a key or card lol!

Mind you I can still remember running around the neighbourhood asking for
50p pieces!!!! Oh and then there were the key things that you had to snap in the machine!

jeffrey
13-03-2007, 15:48 PM
Coin Operated!!! OMG!!! They are ancient and way out of date lol! ... THey are now operated by a key or card lol!

Mind you I can still remember running around the neighbourhood asking for
50p pieces!!!! Oh and then there were the key things that you had to snap in the machine!

I remember that, before meters, we had yards...

justaboutsane
13-03-2007, 16:03 PM
Oh dear Jeffrey!! you got that head on again lol!!!!

caroline7758
13-03-2007, 16:18 PM
It's a well known fact- and very unfair- that in most cases electricity via a key or card meter is more expensive than by any other means. Your new tenant should certainly be able to have the meter taken out- and would probably be best checking 1) whether she's been overcharged and 2) if she can get a cheaper supplier than Powergen at the same time.

Ericthelobster
13-03-2007, 16:31 PM

If the new tenant is prepared to pay by direct debit, could she ask the electricity supplier to remove the meter?You're talking about a prepayment meter, right? No doubt it will be costing more that a standard credit meter, and absolutely the new tenant van ask for it to be removed. There's no reason why she should have to agree to direct debit either (unless there are other reasons relating to her own credit history or something) - the previous history of the property should not affect her at all.

Poppy35
13-03-2007, 17:43 PM
the high cost could mean that your tenant is stil paying off debt of previous one, even though its a key meter it still needs to be re-set by elec co when a new tenant moves in.

Miffy
14-03-2007, 07:17 AM
As Poppy35 says, the tenant needs to make sure that the meter has been reset. If not, she will be paying the previous bad tenants' arrears!!!

(This can be rectified, but the companies seem to take their time about doing it- token meters in one property have caused us loads of hassle because Powergen stuck them in but then won't reset/update them properly. They got their come-uppance last time, though because they hadn't bothered to INCREASE the charging rate when all the price hikes happened and the nice Polish tenants had disappeared back to Poland, assuming their account was covered as it was a prepayment meter :D ).

If you want a prepayment meter company who seem reasonable, try Equipower. They don't have a standing charge on the prepayment meter, so you don't get most of your top up swallowed immediately if there are "arrears" of standing charge.

lellis
14-03-2007, 07:47 AM
It is a card meter.

All the flats are on separate supplies, up to now the flat in question was receiving a quarterly electric bill from the supplier.

I will tell the tenant that she should ask the supplier to have it removed if she wishes

Thanks for the advice

M.A.O.H
14-03-2007, 08:04 AM
just one thing. i don't know about powergen, but in my last house i had a british gas (:mad: ) card meter from the previous tenant. this was hiked up to high heaven. LL said i could get rid, but when i caled BG they said i should have had made arrangements prior to moving in,to have it taken out on the day i took over the property. because i had not done this, because i didn't know, there was a £150 security deposit charge. I never had that amount of money to spare in one go, so i was stuck with it, and my gas cost me an arm and a leg for ever after.

lellis
14-03-2007, 08:12 AM
I will leave it up to the tenant to ask the questions. I just don't want to get caught up with balliffs again!