PDA

View Full Version : Unpaid Utility Bills

MICILJO
09-03-2007, 21:39 PM
Our tenants have move out before the end of the tenancy agreement.

We advised them that they were still liable for the rent until we got somebody else in / or the tenancy agreement end date was reached.

We confirmed all this with them and set the move out date and completed an inventory with them - everything was satisfactory, we didn't give their deposit back at this point.

They signed the inventory and gave us a forwarding address.

We then rang the utilities with the meter readings and gave them the forwarding address left by the tenants.

It turns out that this address is fake, the house doesn't exist.

The utilities wouldn't except our reading because the address we had was invalid.

We have also been round to the address and now know that it doesn't exist following on from the utilities refusal to accept the address we had.

Our question is, can the utilities behave in this way ? Our view is that the unpaid utilities is with the tenants and not us.

Tweedle Dum
09-03-2007, 23:11 PM
Whenever my tenants vacate I always phone the utility companies with the meter readings and I NEVER offer them a forwarding address. The responsibility for the bill is the tenants and not yours. If they are unhappy with the readings tell them to come and read the meter.

Paragon
10-03-2007, 10:17 AM
It is still the tenant's responsibility as the contract with the utilities was in their name.