PDA

View Full Version : Risk Assessment for tenants. Use of cannabis, alcohol or tobacco

Worldlife
09-03-2007, 05:11 AM
Here's my starting point!!!!

Woman of 68 sentenced to 250 hours of unpaid Community Service for using cannabis for pain relief (http://www.guardian.co.uk/drugs/Story/0,,2028957,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=11)

Would you be happy with this woman as a tenant? Do you think she deserves the punishment of 250 hours Community Service.

It looks as if the cannabis user could be in contravention of my tenancy agreement:-

Not to do anything on or at the Property which:-

may be or become a nuisance or annoyance to any other occupiers of the Property or owners or occupiers of adjoining or nearby premises
is illegal or immoral
may in any way affect the validity of the insurance of the Property and the items listed on the inventory or cause an increase in the premium payable by the Landlord

There is another clause in the tenancy agreement that states:-

The Landlord agrees that the Tenant may live in the Property without unreasonable interruption from the Landlord or any person rightfully claiming under or in trust for the Landlord

Personally I would prefer as a tenant an elderly lady making cannabis stew to a young person smoking tobacco or cannabis. I am able to obtain a reduced insurance premium for having a non-smoking policy for the flat and this is clearly explained to incoming tenants and is included in the tenancy agreement.

It seems strange that I would seem to have clear power to evict the elderly cannabis user for illegal activities but would have considerably more problem with an alcholic who was from time to time drunk and abusive and likely to cause damage to the property.

Remember this is a multichoice poll and if you feel there is an outstanding risk from one particular category or just a few categories you may not wish to spread your vote too far.

Worldlife
09-03-2007, 06:11 AM
Something additional to try if you feel some action is necessary on this problem

STOP THE PROSECUTION OF MEDICAL PATIENTS WHO USE CANNABIS.
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/medi-cannabis/

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to allow cannabis users the right to grow cannabis for personal use.
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/right-to-grow/

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to remove cannabis and cannabis products from the Misuse of Drugs Act and associated laws.
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Cannabis/

RichieP
09-03-2007, 07:38 AM
I used to work in a hostel for young single homeless 16-25 year olds. I used to have some pretty eventful nights there, and much preferred if they were smoking cannabis rather than getting drunk.

jeffrey
09-03-2007, 09:34 AM
What people want or think is of interest.
However, the law applies whether they like it or not.
Unless and until it is changed, everyone (from dissolute young addicts to OAPs believing in a sppurious personal immunity) has to obey it.

M.A.O.H
09-03-2007, 13:39 PM
i think the old dear with her dope cakes is great.

i would say injectors are the worst risk, they need all the money for the fix, esp rent money, and often have to turn to crime to get drugs money. also you property would be used by people of a like mind and god knows what could happen.

Worldlife
09-03-2007, 13:59 PM
What people want or think is of interest.
However, the law applies whether they like it or not.
Unless and until it is changed, everyone (from dissolute young addicts to OAPs believing in a sppurious personal immunity) has to obey it.

That's OK until one has a personal challenge concerning moral values in relation to the law.

Would you aid the suicide of a loved one who wanted to die because he or she was in severe pain from an illness or condition that was increasing in severity with no hope of recovery?

If they still wanted to live longer wouldn't you try to get cannabis for them if that would be of help?

Yes technically there would be offences but when there are mitigating circumstances I don't think severe punishments are appropriate.