PDA

View Full Version : tenant's deposit - re-letting clause

Louisa
08-03-2007, 22:43 PM
I'm really sorry if this has been asked and answered before - I did search through the previous posts.

I've only received £280 of my original £400 deposit back...

I left my shared tenancy before the lease was up (as is common practice in that house!), and as usual it was my job to find another tenant to take my place. I did so, and she paid all the agent's fees, deposit, rent etc as normal.

I understand "You can find your landlord another suitable tenant (the landlord can object if the replacement is not suitable) and pay for the admin costs of re-letting." And my own tenancy agreement does say the tenant is liable to pay half a month's rent +VAT to cover costs of re-letting.

As I found the new tenant myself, and she paid all the admin costs of drawing up the new agreement (another clause in the agreement which says the cost of drawing up an agreement is shared by the landlord and tenant at the time of signing it), I don't think I should be liable to pay the costs?

What do you guys think?

Ericthelobster
08-03-2007, 23:07 PM
I left my shared tenancy before the lease was up (as is common practice in that house!), and as usual it was my job to find another tenant to take my place. I did so, and she paid all the agent's fees, deposit, rent etc as normal.

I understand "You can find your landlord another suitable tenant (the landlord can object if the replacement is not suitable) and pay for the admin costs of re-letting." And my own tenancy agreement does say the tenant is liable to pay half a month's rent +VAT to cover costs of re-letting.

As I found the new tenant myself, and she paid all the admin costs of drawing up the new agreement (another clause in the agreement which says the cost of drawing up an agreement is shared by the landlord and tenant at the time of signing it), I don't think I should be liable to pay the costs?
Presumably "she" is the landlord, not the new tenant? From what you write it seems 100% clear that she can't sting you for costs from the deposit, unless maybe there was a void period in between you moving out and the new tenant moving in, during which the LL lost rent? If not, you need to challenge the LL what the deposit deduction was for.