PDA

View Full Version : British Gas Service Contracts..?

jai
08-03-2007, 17:27 PM
I'm thinking of taking one out to cover the electrics, plumbing etc..

Does anyone have any experience of them, are they effecient when you have a problem or do you think I should just go to a local plumber and negotiate a service contract with them...?

P.S This is only for 1 property...They want to charge £24.50 a month for complete cover = £294 a year.

Beeber
08-03-2007, 17:54 PM
My experience of BG is poor.

They inspect the boiler first to see if they will take on the contract. I took the day off work and stayed in all day for this inspection but they didn't show up - no one rang my contact mobile number. I then received a snotty letter saying the engineer had called but I hadn't been in and they'd left a note to say they'd called (they didn't). This note said they would charge me if I wasn't in the next time for one of their engineers visits.

Upon their return, the engineer wasn't happy with the boiler timer and cancelled the contract, saying it was an electrical job, recommending and even if I had it fixed by them on an emergency basis at full cost outwith the monthly 4* star contract, it would be weeks before anyone could return. He instructed the sales side to cancel the contract and recommended i get in an electrical company into fix it (while electrical companies told me to contact gas engineers).

When I rang back explaining to the sales guy that I needed to get them to return to attend to an electrical matter on a basis independent of the service contract to do it as a one-off job, it was rescheduled. Only for a BG engineer to turn up, tut, say it was out of scope and refuse to fix it. 'Problem is, see' he says 'the sales side no nothing about what we do, they get commissions when they sell a policy so they'll always book us in.'

3 visits, including one phantom engineer, and I couldn't even get the timer fixed at full cost, let alone get a maintenance contract started.

jai
08-03-2007, 17:59 PM
Oh dear, where abouts are you based Beeber? I hope this isnt a reflection of the service as a whole! I cant think of anyone else who provides this service.

Beeber
08-03-2007, 21:02 PM
Well hopefully other posters can provide a counter-balance to my experience of using BG who didn't want to quote to do the work outside of the contract and wouldn't accept me onto it until I had it done and where their sales and operational people were at logger heads. Or other posters can recommend smaller companies that offer a similar service if you identify the area where your properties are based.

Perform a search about the BG service on the internet as there are usually plenty of forums providing feedback about organisations and their customer service.

I was lucky enough to identify an engineer on the Corgi site for my area that held the accreditation for heating, plumbing and electrics who wasn't fazed about the work. Think I'll just use him on an as-and-when needed basis - he turned up when he said he would, completed all the work I asked him to do and the invoice matched the quote he gave me.

M.A.O.H
08-03-2007, 21:25 PM
i'm a tenant, and my experience of BG has been rotten to the core, just as a fuel supplier (try switching from them to another user and you see just how incompetent they are), and when they were used by my ex LL to install a boiler.
I had no CH/HW due to crapola appliances. My then LL refused to do repairs but was eventually issued with a EH notice. He had to use BG as all local firms etc fully booked. When the guy came out to fit new boiler (and he did come on time and do a good job), it came to the point where he needed to get the gas supply (turned off by Transco) switched back on. Transco said I had to give my permission to BG first. There then followed a full morning of typical pointless calls
to BG both from myself and the BG guy desperately trying to get BG to recognise that they had this man from their own firm in my house which they just didn't sem able to comprehend, plus passing the buck back to transco and so on. Eventually BG said they would switch supply back on in seven days, despite their on worker getting really angry and saying it must be done sooner. Finally they did do it the next day, which not only cost my ex LL an extra days cost to BG in getting their own fitter back again to test the new system, but nearly cost hm his deadline.
The BG fitter had to jiggle another job to fit me in as his own company didn't know what they were doing from one dept to the next , and caused this delay. He said it happens all the time.
Also when I moved and cancelled, it took them two months to sort out and acknowledge I had cancelled and to send a final bill, in whih time i received all manner of threats and cut off notices, profuse apologies, expensive phone calls, only for the whole rigmarole to start again, and constant blaming on the computer.

i know this isn't about a service contract, but it's another example of what poor customer service BG do seem to provide in general. the web is full of sites bemoaning them. I would go for a local smaller firm as suggested, and pay a few more quid for peace of mind(not that BG are cheap), because once they cock things up, it's murder getting them to admit it.

scampicat
08-03-2007, 21:44 PM
I have had a British Gas Service Contract for years and it is invaluable to me as I live in Spain. I can never find a CORGI engineer at a reasonable price who wants to do anything than fit full heating systems.

They come strraight away (next day usually) if there is a problem and they service the boiler once a year and provide the gas safety certifiicate.

No problema.

justaboutsane
09-03-2007, 06:08 AM
As a fuel supplier BG are absolute rubbish (and thats the polite version!) As I have posted elsewhere we are having serious difficulties with them too and being threatened with court.

BUT when our boiler broke down a few weeks ago and our usuall guy let us down (promised to turn up for nearly 10 days and never did) we called BG on this fixed contract thing. They came out bng on when they said they would, looked at the fault and diaghnosed it to be what we thought it was and promised to come back the next day. They have 3 time slots one of which fits my schedule perfectly (10-2) and when I asked if he could back the same time to fit the faulty part he was not sure but did manage to come bang on time again the next day. Boiler is now working again and we are all nice and warm again!

I know my boss has the mainetance plan for his home and he is very happy with the service, we have chosen not to implement this at the mo but will do so soon. I think it was very good value for money and back to the service I got from BG several years ago when although they were more expensive thyey could be relied upon.... I cant say the same now for their fuel supply :(

Miffy
09-03-2007, 06:10 AM
I looked into a BG service contract but decided against it because of all the exclusions in the small print. For example, they won't cover a boiler over 7 years old if they judge it to be a major problem.

Since my boilers are over 7 years old and any minor problems are a lot cheaper to sort out on an ad hoc basis than the BG contract, I couldn't see the point. It would be like having car insurance that only covered the first £100 of repairs or something!

In my experience there are plenty of corgi registered guys around who are fine. Do a local search on the corgi site for their contact details.

Ericthelobster
09-03-2007, 07:19 AM
I've never heard anything but bad about BG - if you have a contract you pay through the nose for it, and if you don't they are on commission for selling you a powerflush or a new boiler.

I have a contract on one property, dating from when our local firm of heating engineers/plumbers were doing an offer. I only pay £11/month, which includes all parts and labour to the combi boiler, annual service, and the LL certificate. The boiler went wrong for the first time some weeks ago leaving my understandably disgruntled tenant without early morning HW or CH on the coldest day if the year. The firm attended within the hour and apparently had to replace circuit boards to sort it out. Happy tenant, happy landlord.

From a peace of mind point of view, the experience was excellent; it might have been comparable if I hadn't had a contract but I had a 'tame' CORGI at my beck and call when the breakdown happened, but that is not a scenario when you want to be thumbing through the Yellow Pages!

jai
09-03-2007, 09:37 AM
Thanks guys, BG does seem a bit expensive I think I i will find a Corgi registered engineer and see if I can negoitiate something!

Many Thanks!

Jai

Poppy35
09-03-2007, 10:07 AM
why not try a different company - i use Homeserve for my own house and it costs me £110 for 2 years cover - bargain compared to BG.

As an agent we recently instructed BG as a one off to visit the house and they still have not billed us and that was a month ago!!!!

Miffy
10-03-2007, 06:12 AM
I have a contract on one property, dating from when our local firm of heating engineers/plumbers were doing an offer. I only pay £11/month, which includes all parts and labour to the combi boiler, annual service, and the LL certificate. The boiler went wrong for the first time some weeks ago leaving my understandably disgruntled tenant without early morning HW or CH on the coldest day if the year. The firm attended within the hour and apparently had to replace circuit boards to sort it out. Happy tenant, happy landlord.

That sounds a really good deal, especially since it includes a certificate and service. I would go for that if someone was offering it locally. How did you find out about this deal-did you negotiate it or was it advertised?

Ericthelobster
10-03-2007, 08:48 AM
That sounds a really good deal, especially since it includes a certificate and service. I would go for that if someone was offering it locally. How did you find out about this deal-did you negotiate it or was it advertised?Advertised locally IIRC... only for a fairly brief period so I wonder if they got their sums wrong maybe?!