PDA

View Full Version : T cleaned/vacated flat; L claims not clean enough

rosief2407
08-03-2007, 15:25 PM
I've just moved out of a flat and spent a lot of time cleaning it before I did so. Today I've had a couple of phone calls from the agency through which I was dealing with my landlady concerning the landlady's complaining about the state of the flat. She's said things like the oven hasn't been properly cleaned (it was thoroughly scrubbed using mr muscle) and that there are some cobwebs. I know that I left the flat in as good a condition as I found it. I think she's trying to keep back some of our deposit. I was wondering if its part of a landlord/lady's responsibilities to have the flat proffesionally cleaned between tenants anyway? If so, surely it's reasonable for her to expect a few cobwebs etc? Thanks.

Paragon
08-03-2007, 15:41 PM
Did the LL have the carpets steam cleaned before you moved in? Normally, for hygiene purpose, a LL will have the carpets steam cleaned. If the LL used a professional company to clean, then the oven would have been cleaned with a special hand held steam cleaner leaving it spotless.

rosief2407
08-03-2007, 15:47 PM
the oven was new when we moved in, it was cleaned regularly during our tenancy and cleaned as well as I could do it when we left. I believe the carpets were steam cleaned before we moved in. They were stained though, which was stated on the itinerary, although the landlady tried to claim earlier that they had been new when we moved in and implied that we had stained them!

RichieP
08-03-2007, 16:09 PM
If there's an incoming inventory that both partied agreed on and signed but you haven't agreed on an outgoing one they can't really justify witholding your money. They have to expect fair wear and tear.

Bel
08-03-2007, 16:09 PM
You should leave the flat as clean as you found it, unless the agreement says otherwise.

Wear and Tear does not include dirt. Dirt can be removed; wear and tear cannot, by definition.

Worldlife
08-03-2007, 17:08 PM
<snip>.I believe the carpets were steam cleaned before we moved in. They were stained though, which was stated on the itinerary <snip> !

Hope the answers given so far resolve you query rosie :)

May I now advertise conducted tours with an itinerary through your property showing the disputed items on the inventory ?

On a serious note you state that

the oven was new when we moved in, it was cleaned regularly during our tenancy and cleaned as well as I could do it when we left.

This suggests to me that despite your efforts the oven was not left in an "as new" condition. Could you tell us more about the dirt you were not able to remove and where it was located. For example were there any encrusted residues in the oven or on the rings or flame distributors of the hob? If there were 'glass' doors where these left clear and free of film?

If the oven has not been cleaned regularly throughout the tenancy or, where it is safe to do so, aluminium foil has not been used for protection, then it could well be that film or deposits have accumulated that cannot be removed merely by "elbow grease".

Personal standards vary and you might find an odd cobweb at our own property. You wouldn't find a cobweb at a rented flat after it had been cleaned professionally.

RichieP
08-03-2007, 17:22 PM
Wear and Tear does not include dirt. Dirt can be removed; wear and tear cannot, by definition.

I agree, but the OP says she spent a lot of time cleaning the flat, so it's down to wear and tear and a bit of p!ss taking..

Paragon
08-03-2007, 17:40 PM
If you don't have the right tools, you are unable to clean to the same quality and standard as a professional, unfortunately.

choices
08-03-2007, 18:23 PM
How can you clean a property but leave the cobwebs!

Paragon
08-03-2007, 18:27 PM
You have to catch the spider first 'cause he just can't wait till you leave.

Worldlife
09-03-2007, 07:21 AM
Ah....... a spider infestation!!!!!!:eek:

Guess that's the landlord's fault for not spider proofing the property.

justaboutsane
09-03-2007, 08:00 AM
Spiders are cunning little buggers.. My Mum is the events coordinator and caretaker at our church. One week she spent completely spring cleaning the place she got on ladders and cleaned the sky lights and did the whole place top to bottom, including cleaning all the carpets. She started on the Monday and finished on the Friday. On Sunday we walked in and my mum could have cried.... there in the corner where everyone would see it was a HUGE web! You could see that it was fresh as the web was clearish! I had seen the church on the Friday and I know that web was not there!

The way I look at it is this... if its a cobweb covered in dust then its been there a while, however its a clearish then its recent and as such the tenant should not be held responsible!

rosief2407
09-03-2007, 11:55 AM
How can you clean a property but leave the cobwebs!

I guess I was pretty tired having spent most of my weekend packing up and cleaning the flat, so I may have missed a couple of cobwebs. It can't have been a very obvious one, or I would have got rid of it. I cleaned away any I saw.

rosief2407
09-03-2007, 12:03 PM
[QUOTE=Worldlife;35833]Could you tell us more about the dirt you were not able to remove and where it was located. For example were there any encrusted residues in the oven or on the rings or flame distributors of the hob? If there were 'glass' doors where these left clear and free of film?

To answer your questions. The only place in the oven which wasn't thoroughly cleaned was the fan which was behind a grill and I wasn't able to reach it. There were no other obvious signs of residue on the rest of the oven or cooker. It was one of those cookers with the flat surface, so that was easily cleaned. As I said before, I thought I'd done a pretty thorough job of cleaning the place. I was hardly going to leave it in a state when there's a large deposit at stake!

jeffrey
09-03-2007, 12:26 PM
Cobwebs aren't dirt so it's unfair to spiders if you clean them away.
Or try Charlotte's Web- not a www page but a VG film.

Worldlife
09-03-2007, 19:53 PM
<snip>. The only place in the oven which wasn't thoroughly cleaned was the fan which was behind a grill and I wasn't able to reach it. There were no other obvious signs of residue on the rest of the oven or cooker. It was one of those cookers with the flat surface, so that was easily cleaned. As I said before, I thought I'd done a pretty thorough job of cleaning the place. I was hardly going to leave it in a state when there's a large deposit at stake!

Did the landlord leave an instruction manual with the cooker and were there any instructions on how to remove the grill and clean the fan?

My feeling however is that this should be a service item the landlord's responsibility. In my view a slight film of grease on the fan should be regarded as fair wear and tear between landlord's service arrangements.