PDA

View Full Version : Secure Tenancy - Sale of Property

kezdave
07-03-2007, 14:51 PM
My parents have a secure tenancy and have lived in the one property for over 40 years. This was owned by a trust and and on the death of the last trust member my parents were informed that the property may be sold. They asked for details as I wanted to buy the property to secure my parent's home. In fact it was sold without their knowledge to company who are now seeking an increase in rent of 48%. Can a property be sold without the tenants knowledge? I look forward to your advice.:confused:

jeffrey
07-03-2007, 14:56 PM
My parents have a secure tenancy and have lived in the one property for over 40 years. This was owned by a trust and and on the death of the last trust member my parents were informed that the property may be sold. They asked for details as I wanted to buy the property to secure my parent's home. In fact it was sold without their knowledge to company who are now seeking an increase in rent of 48%. Can a property be sold without the tenants knowledge? I look forward to your advice.:confused:

1. Your parents will probably have a tenancy protected by the Rent Act 1977.
2. The sale without advance notice did not change their legal position.
3. The old landlord (vendor) was not obliged to give them any warning of the proposed sale nor to give them (or you) first refusal.
4. The 1977 Act does give tenants a lot of security and protection against rent increases exceeding inflation or more than every two years.

bill65
07-03-2007, 15:07 PM
What kind of secure tenancy was it i.e was the trust registered with the housing corporation? was the rent registered as a fair rent?