PDA

View Full Version : Bad Tenant gone - what next

martini
06-03-2007, 15:10 PM
Hi,

Well good news, my tenant has finally moved out after I issued Section 21 & 8. (Well actually I got Landlord Action to do it). I must say thats a weight off my mind as he was always erratic with his rent payments.

Question
I'm sure that he hasn't been paying the bills - elec, gas, water, council tax.
How do I protect myself as the landlord from having to pay these bills?

Many thanks in advance

Dan

Paragon
06-03-2007, 15:59 PM
Call each utility, water company, and council. Give the utilities the current readings and tell the date the tenant moved out. Register the utilities in your name as of that date. They will send you a new account number for yourself. Give them the tenants forwarding address, if known. Otherwise, tell them he has disappeared. A final bill will be sent to the tenant. That is the way it has worked for me, but then I always had a forwarding address so I could send their deposit to them.

Beeber
06-03-2007, 15:59 PM
If the bills are in the tenant's name, then they are nothing to do with you and arrears will be in his name, rather than against you or the property.

Make sure that you take meter readings and inform the relevant organisations that the tenant has left and take them over into your name until you get new tenants in.

martini
06-03-2007, 16:10 PM
Perfect

Thanks for the advice, I will get the meter readings and let the concerned parties know.

btw the tenant disconnected the BT line and installed ntl , i've no idea how to cancel that.

Ericthelobster
06-03-2007, 16:36 PM
btw the tenant disconnected the BT line and installed ntl , i've no idea how to cancel that.Ooh: wild guess... phone up NTL and ask them to?

I wouldn't bother going to the bother of putting it back to BT though, if that's what you mean - NTL (or Virgin Media as we now have to call them) provide a perfectly OK service and there's no reason why the next tenant can't use it too.

DianeB
06-03-2007, 18:26 PM
Also, if you plan to let out property again, tell council it is empty at the moment and you won't have to pay council tax for up to 6 months whilst it is empty.

Paragon
06-03-2007, 22:23 PM
Also, if you plan to let out property again, tell council it is empty at the moment and you won't have to pay council tax for up to 6 months whilst it is empty.

Unfortunately, my council says it has to be empty and unfurnished. Probably one of the only councils that makes that distinction.

Ericthelobster
06-03-2007, 22:25 PM
Unfortunately, my council says it has to be empty and unfurnished. Probably one of the only councils that makes that distinction.No, I think it's pretty standard.

P.Pilcher
06-03-2007, 22:54 PM
Well - You had better remove the furniture then!

Hint: Few councils bother to snoop around and look into windows just to make sure that they don't loose out on a few months council tax.

P.P.

Ericthelobster
07-03-2007, 07:36 AM
Few councils bother to snoop around and look into windows just to make sure that they don't loose out on a few months council tax.Pretty sure mine does. I once saw an official-looking clipboard-toting bloke trying to peer through the net curtains of an empty property of mine - didn't get a chance to quiz him but that was my best guess as to what he was up to!

Joannepowell
07-03-2007, 07:44 AM
I just had a little chuckle to myself then - the thought of a council officer with clipboard in hand trying to peer through the curtains of two of my flats whilst teetering on a ladder would hardly be inconspicuous! The two flats in question are on the first and second floors!!! :cool:

Fortunately for the council they are actually tenanted at present.

J