PDA

View Full Version : Landlord cancelled cheque

dellgirl
05-03-2007, 14:43 PM
Hi there,

I finally moved ouit of the hell hole i was living in and i sold some of my furniture to my ex landlord. i left quite a lot there and he wrote me a cheque to include my deposit and the money for the furniture. three days later he cancelled the cheque and sent me an email saying that he didnt appreciate me complaining to the council. He is now refusing to answer my calls, my emails etc and is refusing to give me back my money.

i filed a claim with mcol and it turns out that the bugger has moved, i asked him for his new address and he said that he no longer needs to supply me with his address. so i have a court case against him and nowhere to send it to. i did a register search and he was never registered at any address, dead dodgy if you ask me!!!

Anyone ever had to deal with anything like this? essentially he still has my furniture and my deposit.

help please because i dont want him to get away with this at all.

Paragon
05-03-2007, 14:56 PM
Perhaps you can get a charge against the property if he still owns it.

dellgirl
05-03-2007, 14:58 PM
I sent the initial claim to his last known address and then resent it to the rental address but both came back unserved.

jeffrey
05-03-2007, 15:35 PM
I sent the initial claim to his last known address and then resent it to the rental address but both came back unserved.

Bouncing the cheque may be a criminal offence, under Theft Act 1968.
Consult Police?

dellgirl
05-03-2007, 15:36 PM
thank you i will give them a call once i get out of work, i really dont want him to get away with this at all and in essence he has stolen money and goods from me

tobylaura@btinternet.com
05-03-2007, 21:41 PM
did u go trhough an agent? they will have the details.
if not, wghat about your contract? it should have his deets oin there - or the inventory etc.
the agent has to provide the details.

let me know

L

Surrey
06-03-2007, 07:37 AM
Check the Civil Procedure Rules for what counts as valid service. As far as I am aware, if you serve something at a person's last known address (particularly if you do so by registered post) then the document is deemed served, even if not signed for or actually received. Do double-check that one though.

justaboutsane
06-03-2007, 08:04 AM
By writing the cheque and issuing it the LL has admitted he owes you the money. Check on Land Registry the address of the LL and try sending letters there! .. Dont send it by recorded post tho, take two letters to two post offices and get proof of receipt. It has been upheld in court that one can go missing but not both!

dellgirl
06-03-2007, 13:25 PM
did u go trhough an agent? they will have the details.
if not, wghat about your contract? it should have his deets oin there - or the inventory etc.
the agent has to provide the details.

let me know

L

i didnt go through a letting agency for this one but by god i went through one for the place i am living in now. the tenancy agreement has his old address on it and i checked the land registry and ditto. i called the court and they said that they sent it to his last known address and it came back unserved.

i found an address for him cost me a tenner but its done and i have sent the court papers again in a pink fluffy box with happy birthday on it and its registered. will let you know how i get on.