PDA

View Full Version : Oral tenancy- evicting tenant in arrears

julietodd
05-03-2007, 10:09 AM
Hi there, somebody please help me. I have been on the phone to the courts all morning and have got no further. We have a tenant who only has a verbal rental agreement as he is a family member. Needless to say the relationship has now turned pretty sour and he is refusing to leave. We need to gain access to the property and get him out before the end of April 07. We sent him a letter giving him notice to be out by 1st March 07. This letter was hand delivered on the 1st Nov 06 and mentions that under section 8 and section 21 we will start proceedings under the housing act 1996. What do I need to do to start the ball rolling?

Bel
05-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Hi there, somebody please help me. I have been on the phone to the courts all morning and have got no further. We have a tenant who only has a verbal rental agreement as he is a family member. Needless to say the relationship has now turned pretty sour and he is refusing to leave. We need to gain access to the property and get him out before the end of April 07. We sent him a letter giving him notice to be out by 1st March 07. This letter was hand delivered on the 1st Nov 06 and mentions that under section 8 and section 21 we will start proceedings under the housing act 1996. What do I need to do to start the ball rolling?

It doesn't look likely you will get possession before end April, unless you sweet-talk him; perhaps offer him an alternative.

Please confirm :
date he moved in.
Also what rent he pays
That you intended it to be a landlord/tenant relationship, or just you were doing them a favour because they had knowhere else to go.
Is he in rent arrears?