PDA

View Full Version : Renting to Americans/Other people from abroad

rob ganly
04-03-2007, 15:28 PM
hi all,

i was wondering if i needed to take any extra steps when renting a flat out to some usa citizens currently working over here? (and for future ref, does this apply to all non-uk nationals?). also, do i need to check work visas/passports or anything else?

best,

rob ganly

Paragon
04-03-2007, 16:02 PM
hi all,

i was wondering if i needed to take any extra steps when renting a flat out to some usa citizens currently working over here? (and for future ref, does this apply to all non-uk nationals?). also, do i need to check work visas/passports or anything else?

best,

rob ganly

It all helps. I now insist on photocopying their passports and/or photo drivers license plus an original utility bill from previous residence for all tenants whether they be foreign or not. An original utility bill sometimes is not readily available, as many tenants don't keep them, but they should have something even if it is a mobile phone bill, which is not the best as you can use any address for that.

Beeber
04-03-2007, 18:49 PM
If the tenants are applying when they are still outside the UK, you need to acquaint yourself with Advance Fee Fraud and 419 scams where scammers pose as interested tenants and try to fleece landlords through the fake cheque overpayment scam.

This is where they send the advertiser a worthless cheque and ask for the 'accidental' overpayment to be wired back through a payment system such as Western Union before the bank has identified the cheque as being fraudulent.

Bel
04-03-2007, 19:38 PM
This thread may help

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4975&highlight=diplomatic