PDA

View Full Version : Can I bring a lawyer/friend to my checkout and do I have to tell the landlord?

Dogtanian
27-02-2007, 18:17 PM
Hello. I guess the title says it all... but I'll elaborate anyway.

I live by myself and am checking out of my property soon. I'm not with a letting agency so there won't be any third party present. My landlord is not the most scrupulous person and I'd rather have someone with me during the checkout and inventory procedure.

Can a friend attend this with me, and does it matter if that person is a lawyer? Do I have to tell the landlord in advance? I'd rather not.

Sorry if this is rather a simple question - I suspect the answer is yes, but I want to do everything by the book!

Thanks!
DT.

P.Pilcher
27-02-2007, 18:41 PM
There is absoloutely no reason why your landlord should be informed - you are merely using an independent witness as to the state of the property when you vacate and the comments on that state made by the landlord. I suggest you introduce him to the landlord as a friend who is assisting you with your move and say nothing more.

P.P.

PaulF
27-02-2007, 20:51 PM
Don't worry. Your landlord has to prove dilapidations and you don't so if his inventory at check-in was poor you have little to worry about. Look at my other threads on this subject if you can locate them.

Dogtanian
28-02-2007, 23:04 PM
Thanks P.P. and Paul F! This is a fantastic site.

Dogtanian
28-02-2007, 23:16 PM
Actually, a couple more questions if I may. I have suggested a noon checkout time which my landlord has rejected without reason. He's suggested two other times but neither are good for me - I've built my schedule around moving out like a house of cards!

Do I have any rights in this or do I have to fit in with him? I feel like I've made enough concessions already.

Also, he has asked in writing today that I 'do not clean the property as professional cleaning is required'. It needs nothing of the sort - it's not dirty or soiled in any way and I want to clean it to the same standard I found it in(which admittedly was clean) same as with the other flats I've moved out of.

I suspect he will be taking the charge for the professional cleaning out of my deposit. There's nothing in my contract that states that states there has to be a pro cleaner at checkout, so should I say that he will need to bear the costs for this himself if he wants one?

Thanks again in advance for any advice.

nick..
01-03-2007, 06:26 AM
Also, he has asked in writing today that I 'do not clean the property as professional cleaning is required'. It needs nothing of the sort - it's not dirty or soiled in any way and I want to clean it to the same standard I found it in(which admittedly was clean) same as with the other flats I've moved out of..

Oh dear, some will try anything on won't they. Do as you say and clean the property to the standard you found it in, do not let him take any money for professional cleaning if there is nothing more than wear and tear. Amazing how many landlords feel that the deposit is their re-decoration budget. Amazing

There will be less of this when TDS's are introduced

Ericthelobster
01-03-2007, 07:00 AM
Actually, a couple more questions if I may. I have suggested a noon checkout time which my landlord has rejected without reason. He's suggested two other times but neither are good for me - I've built my schedule around moving out like a house of cards!

Do I have any rights in this or do I have to fit in with him? I feel like I've made enough concessions already.No, you don't have any 'right' even to be there at checkout at all - it could be argued he's making a 'concession' to you by allowing you to attend!

I would certainly want to attend myself if I were in your shoes though.