PDA

View Full Version : Council Tax on empty property

steveandbee
27-02-2007, 13:28 PM
The house which we used to live in was empty for 2 months before being rented. When I enquired about the Council Tax on this period I was informed that for an empty property there will be no Council Tax for the first 6-month. After the 6-months period the full amount is payable.

My question is:

Question one: Is this correct? I thought on an empty property it was rebated by 25%
Question two: If this is correct then what will happen when the next period when the property is empty again? Will a new 6-months "no council tax" period be applied or will I have no council tac to paid for another 4-months only?

Thanks in advance

Paragon
27-02-2007, 14:17 PM
If it was empty and unfurnished, I thought it was 3 months. If it was uninhabitable and being restored, I thought it was 6 months. If it was empty but furnished, you only get a 10% deduction. I will check my council rules and come back to you.

jeffrey
27-02-2007, 14:25 PM
The house which we used to live in was empty for 2 months before being rented. When I enquired about the Council Tax on this period I was informed that for an empty property there will be no Council Tax for the first 6-month. After the 6-months period the full amount is payable.

My question is:

Question one: Is this correct? I thought on an empty property it was rebated by 25%
Question two: If this is correct then what will happen when the next period when the property is empty again? Will a new 6-months "no council tax" period be applied or will I have no council tac to paid for another 4-months only?

Thanks in advance

1. You are confusing two points. Empty property carries no CT for first six months. Property with only one adult in occupation carries 75% of full CT (ie sole occupant gets 25% discount).
2. The six-month rule is property-based, not person-based. Only one six-month period is available per property.
BUT there are other disregards too. For example:
a. exempt dwellings, as set out in Statutory Instruments;
b. dwelling of now-deceased owner during period of obtaining Grant of Probate etc.; and
c. students.
Finally, the person liable to pay CT is defined in s.6 of Local Government Act 1992 as amended. Even tenants can be liable, despite what you might have been told to the contrary, depending on whether anyone outranks them in descending order of liability set out there.

Paragon
27-02-2007, 15:05 PM
Got it.

Class A: Empty and unfurnished and that need major repairs or are being repaired so they can be lived in will be exempt for up to 12 months.

Class C: Empty and unfurnished properties will be exempt for up to six months from the date they were last lived in.

from 1 April 2004, 90% council tax is payable on second homes which is furnished.

From my own experience, the council form that I fill out between tenancies does not ask the question how many times I have asked for the exemption. I don't think there is any limit, as the council knows we have void periods between tenancies.

Esio Trot
27-02-2007, 15:43 PM
from 1 April 2004, 90% council tax is payable on second homes which is furnished.

Not all local authorities have implemented the allowed change in regulations. In my area, one has and the other has not.

Round our way an empty 3 bedroom at 90% cost a LL over £110 a month in council tax. Thus there has been a definite trend towards unfurnished.

Alternatively, I know of some landlords of furnished properties registering themselves as sole occupant "living there for security against squatters" thus saving themselves 15% a month.

Worldlife
27-02-2007, 16:09 PM
Not all local authorities have implemented the allowed change in regulations. In my area, one has and the other has not.<snip>

That is indeed the situation - local authorities do seem to vary.

Steveandbee has quite correctly checked with the Council involved and it is best to record the date and time of this advice in the event of there being any future dispute.

Paragon
27-02-2007, 16:48 PM
Not all local authorities have implemented the allowed change in regulations. In my area, one has and the other has not.

Round our way an empty 3 bedroom at 90% cost a LL over £110 a month in council tax. Thus there has been a definite trend towards unfurnished.

Alternatively, I know of some landlords of furnished properties registering themselves as sole occupant "living there for security against squatters" thus saving themselves 15% a month.

Interesting. I didn't realize that the 90% on furnished properties was optional and at the discretion of individual councils. Mine used to be furnished, but not any more - but the garage is getting full.