PDA

View Full Version : How to handle return of keys / inventory check / etc etc?

janine1271
26-02-2007, 13:08 PM
Hi all, I'd appreciate advice please - If all goes according to plan, I am going to my property to collect keys and check the tenant out on Saturday morning. She is asking that I sign a document saying that keys have been handed over and stating the date her daily rental ends (vacating was meant to take place today - Judge ruled that she would have to pay daily rent for each day she stayed if not gone by today).

Is this normal practise?

Also, as she has been ordered to pay nearly £7k in outstanding rent & costs, how should the deposit be handled? I understand that I wouldn't have to give it back immediately anyway according to other threads on this site, but in light of the situation am I right to assume I shouldn't have to pay that back until she pays up first?

Is there anything else I need to take care of? Thanks.

Poppy
26-02-2007, 14:25 PM
She is asking that I sign a document saying that keys have been handed over and stating the date her daily rental ends
Is this normal practise?

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

You obviously need to check the property for damage. Hope you had an incoming inventory...

You should also take meter readings and change the utility bills into your name.

Take a witness with you.

I would not return any deposit if a further £7000 is due. Use it to offset some of the loss. You could as an added reminder give her a written account as at the day she vacates, showing the negative outstanding sum owed emboldened in RED. Great satisfaction to be gained there. :D

One last thing - change the locks when she leaves.

janine1271
01-03-2007, 16:01 PM
Thank you for your reply Poppy.