PDA

View Full Version : Leaving tenant's new address

lollyhouse
26-02-2007, 10:55 AM
Our problem tenants are leaving today (12 days late). Am I within any rights to insist on the tenants forwarding address in case of any problems in future such as non payment of utilities or such like? Thanks

Furat
26-02-2007, 11:04 AM
You have their deposit?

they will give you their afddress so you can send them the cheque for the deposit- within a reasonable time limit (ie after you've ascertained that there's no unpaid bills)

You need about two weeks to make sure the flat has not been damaged ( i do, at least) and by then you shoudl have found out about unpaid bills.

lollyhouse
26-02-2007, 11:55 AM
they were tenants through the councils Access Scheme so there is no deposit paid by the tenant just a deposit guarantee from council.

Poppy
26-02-2007, 14:15 PM
You can try insisting or saying please, however only a court can order such a response.

My tactic is to say, the deposit cheque can be sent to their address if they provide it or they can come and collect the money from my home personally.

If you subsequently find damage once they have left you will have to chase through the legal system.

Tenants' non-payment of bills is not your concern at all. Just ensure that you change all the utilities over to your name or the incoming tenant's name - today.

Furat
27-02-2007, 07:40 AM
Play dumb, and say that you will return their £500 deposit after two weeks.

Say the council handed you their deposit, and you 'think' you have to return it to them.

They will want to receive the money, and take advantage of a clerical error by the concil/you.

They might give you their address.

Paragon
27-02-2007, 09:50 AM
Be sure to check that the tenants haven't changed the supplier of any utilities, especially telephone . If they have, get a copy of their latest bill so you know who to call to change the names to INCLUDE the council tax. Everyone will change the names based on your phone call EXCEPT certain telephone companies. I am still having trouble with one of my flats, because the tenants contracted with BULLDOG for its internet service. BULLDOG puts some sort of gizmo on the telephone line and won't remove it until they hear from the tenant. BT can not restore service until the gizmo is removed. Great eh!!!

Ericthelobster
27-02-2007, 16:23 PM
I am still having trouble with one of my flats, because the tenants contracted with BULLDOG for its internet service. BULLDOG puts some sort of gizmo on the telephone line and won't remove it until they hear from the tenant. BT can not restore service until the gizmo is removed. Great eh!!!Brilliant. Isn't this a case for OFTEL?

Hacks me off to think that it's classed as an "unfair term" if you insist that tenants don't change their providers, when this is the net result. (Although personally I do have the relevant clause in my AST and to date nobody has ever chalenged it or changed suppliers!)

Joannepowell
27-02-2007, 22:52 PM
Wait for this guys.... Apparently the meter serial numbers are all messed up at my flats (despite P.....gen being out once to rectify the situation) and this only came to light again when my daughters boyfriend moved out of their flat and I telephoned with meter readings. He got a bill for £443 and so I'd rang up to enquire how this was possible given they have a pre-payment meter!

Anyway, would appear they've 'cocked' the readings up but whilst trying to resolve the issue the fact the serial numbers are wrong came to light. And apparently the meter to their flat was registered to another of the flats in the same building. This doesn't really create a problem as the meters are pre-payment so you pay for what you use.

It then transpires that apparently one of the meters is no-longer with P.....gen and I was told this must be due to the tenant chaning supplier on December 4th (to Gritish Bas) but was also told not to worry because the supply going back to P.....gen in March. Now I'm totally mystified because the meter in question is to a flat which has been vacant since November!!! (note to myself.... provide ghost with AST) :eek:

I think this tale just shows how important it is to ensure that Landlords read meters and telephone suppliers as a matter of priority and also to make a note of time, day and person spoken to etc!

Kind Regards

J