PDA

View Full Version : Threatened by ex-tenant

DianeB
24-02-2007, 09:56 AM
My husband and I were woken up earlier this morning by banging on the door and our ex-tenant standing there (who was evicted 2 weeks ago). Apparently, somebody has been round to his new house twice, spraying paint on his house and acid on his vehicle.

He was very threatening and abusive to both myself and my husband, although after some time we managed to calm him down and talk to him rationally, explaining that any action we decide to take against his non-payment of rent would be through the courts and nothing else. Certainly, we would never do any illegal.

Has anybody else come across this sort of situation, or can anybody give me any advice? My worry is if somebody has got a grudge against him, could this escalate into something worse:eek:

Poppy
24-02-2007, 10:01 AM
Not a bright idea coming to your home. Has he called the Police?

Do you know where he is living now? I would go to my local Police station and report the incident from your own perspective.

DianeB
24-02-2007, 10:03 AM
Once he calmed down, he told us his new address. Have just chatted to hubby about it and he is going down to report it to the police now.

DianeB
24-02-2007, 10:05 AM
Also, don't think tenant has gone to police although I suggested he should.

DianeB
24-02-2007, 12:21 PM
The incident was reported to the police who asked if we wanted him arrested. Because my husband feels the situation has now been diffused he said no to the arrest but would personally visit the tenant now that we know his address and tell him the action we have taken. Police happy about this and told hubby to call them if any more threats made.

Hopefully situation sorted but I do feel I need reminding sometimes what the benefits of landlording are!

Bel
25-02-2007, 11:06 AM
I guess thats why some landlords prefer to use a c/o address on the AST !!

DianeB
25-02-2007, 11:26 AM
Bel, I had this discussion with my husband yesterday about using c/o and then looked it up on this forum. I gathered from the postings that landlords have to give their home address (but please do correct me if I am wrong).

Further, my husband's argument against using c/o was that if our tenant did not officially know where we live and any sort of vandalism occurred to our home, then we would not have any come-back against him.

If you have any thoughts about his way of thinking, I would like to hear!

Paragon
25-02-2007, 11:34 AM
Bel, I had this discussion with my husband yesterday about using c/o and then looked it up on this forum. I gathered from the postings that landlords have to give their home address (but please do correct me if I am wrong).

Further, my husband's argument against using c/o was that if our tenant did not officially know where we live and any sort of vandalism occurred to our home, then we would not have any come-back against him.

The requirement is a contact address. It doesn't have to be your home address. It may be a PO address or C/O address or an agencies address.
Anyone, please correct me if I am wrong.

Bel
25-02-2007, 11:48 AM

In a nutshell;

The AST requires an address for service in England or Wales. People do use mail boxes or letting agent addressess, or maybe work address, relatives address etc. You must be sure that you will get any mail delivered to the address.

BUT

If under Section 1 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985; the tenant can demand the Landlords name and address in writing from whoever demands the rent, and they must reply within 21 days or an offence is commited. This address nust be the LL's abode or bona fide place of business (not the agent). Some people even disput this (they are wrong), but a tenant can also check the land registry; so no-one is completely protected.

See thread:
http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5024&highlight=%22landlords+address%22

DianeB
25-02-2007, 19:30 PM
Thanks Bel, that information is very clear and helpful:)

Furat
26-02-2007, 11:36 AM
I would prefer to use a PO box