PDA

View Full Version : I want to be a tenant- but I have a pet

POLO
22-02-2007, 10:52 AM
Im going to be renting and have a well behaved 5 year old dog it doesnt specify no pets allowed ,it just says no pets to be keep unless permission authorised,if i did get one how would they know.Could they come round without giving notice?we are extremely clean and tidy.

PaulF
22-02-2007, 10:58 AM
It's important the clause is well written as this has been tested in the European Courts by a German (not Shepherd! Ha! Ha!) who contested that an outright prohibition on pets prevented a tenant from even having a goldfish and was therefore potentially unfair and onerous.

The clause should now have a qualified covenant to be enforceable which states something like ".....but the landlord's consent will not be unreasonably withheld" or words to that effect, but then what is "unreasonable"? Only the courts can decide.

POLO
22-02-2007, 11:16 AM
Hi Paul thanks for your info ,All it says under point 19 no pets are to be kept.
My cousin visits with her dog and they said that would be ok,but i dont see the difference in a dog visiting and a dog sleeping and staying there?

P.Pilcher
22-02-2007, 11:18 AM
The problem with dogs is that a) they leave behind an unmistakable odour which dog owners get used to and therefore don't notice and b) they moult.
If permission for a dog is requested I enquire as to whether the dog is to be left in the property without attention all day. (A dog cannot hold it's urine that long and the frustration of being left may well cause it to make a noise, disturbing neighbours and causing damage.) If I get satisfactory answers in this respect and tenants are also experienced dog owners, permission is always forthcoming however I require a tenant seeking such permission to agree to a full steam cleaning of all carpets at the end of their tenancy. This sorts out the problems mentioned above. I don't normally have a problem with any other type of pet.

P.P.

POLO
22-02-2007, 11:32 AM
my dog goes all day ,doesnt smell cos hes pedigree and is extremely well house trained and have rented twice before where they have allowed him.i just dont have a house at the moment and dont want to be turned away.

POLO
22-02-2007, 11:39 AM
ive had dogs all my life so am a responsble owner and have had this one for 4 years ,there are no tell tale signs that i have a dog in my house apart from the bowls and lead!

P.Pilcher
22-02-2007, 11:51 AM
If you were a potential tenant of mine, I would be happy to accept you and your dog! I own a Yorkshire terrier. He is bathed frequently and therefore I don't think he smells - nor does he moult, but I wouldn't disbelieve a non dog owner if he claimed that he did. Thus my dog owning tenants are always required to have the carpets steam cleaned when they leave.

P.P.

POLO
22-02-2007, 12:04 PM
Could they come round without our permission and us not being there and find him?hes a english bull.

Paragon
22-02-2007, 12:28 PM
All dogs including pedigrees registered with the Kennel Club leave an odour. They also bring in mites and other little animals clinging deparately to their fur.

If you sign a contract agreeing to a No Pet policy without written permission, then you should honour that contract. Failure to do so is a breach of the contract and may eventually be fought in a court room setting. As in all things legal, you never know how a judge will rule on the day, especially on something as vague as the OFT GUIDELINES, which further state that a no pet policy is POTENTIALLY UNFAIR. Unfair doesn't mean illegal.

POLO
22-02-2007, 12:30 PM
but there are no requirements stating no pets ,no children ,no dss ,no smokers so where do i stand?

Paragon
22-02-2007, 12:39 PM
but there are no requirements stating no pets ,no children ,no dss ,no smokers so where do i stand?

If there is no term in your contract forbidding pets, then you should have no problem.

Paragon
22-02-2007, 12:43 PM
Sorry - bit confused. I thought you said initially there was a term that said No Pets. Now you are saying there isn't?

samantha1609
22-02-2007, 12:51 PM
If the contract states that pets are not allowed without permission from the landlord and you don't have permission then the dog should not be at the property.

I'm a little confused at to whether you are already tenants at the property or will be moving in soon?

I think the best course of action, would be to obtain permission. Its not worth the hassle of when the property is inspected and then it is discovered you have the dog without permission.

Landlords will consider pets, and generally will want the carpets cleaned, part of the deposit held back for de-infestation (to be returned after a set period) and potentially a higher deposit.

POLO
22-02-2007, 12:52 PM
it says not to have any pets on the premises.thats it?

Paragon
22-02-2007, 12:53 PM
If the contract states that pets are not allowed without permission from the landlord and you don't have permission then the dog should not be at the property.

I'm a little confused at to whether you are already tenants at the property or will be moving in soon?

I think the best course of action, would be to obtain permission. Its not worth the hassle of when the property is inspected and then it is discovered you have the dog without permission.

Landlords will consider pets, and generally will want the carpets cleaned, part of the deposit held back for de-infestation (to be returned after a set period) and potentially a higher deposit.

Good post!!

POLO
22-02-2007, 12:55 PM
my friend had a great dane and they never found out!they cant make a inspection without you there can they?

POLO
22-02-2007, 12:58 PM
Oh But They House Immigrants And Drug Dealers But Not Pets!!

Paragon
22-02-2007, 13:01 PM
my friend had a great dane and they never found out!they cant make a inspection without you there can they?

In your contract, it probably says they can do inspections. You can refuse to allow them to enter the premises. I think everyone here has no illusions as to what happens next. I guess it depends on how keen you are to stay where you are and maintain good references, in addition, to getting your deposit back without a lengthy stressful fight. Many landlords have deep pockets.

POLO
22-02-2007, 13:05 PM
But They Cant Enter The Premises Without Permission When Im Paying £650 Pcm .thay Just Expect So Much ,if They Are So Fussy About Things Dont Rent It Out .simple,well Thaks For You Advice.im A Clean Respectable Person Whos In Full Time Work And Have Never Been In Arrears So I Shouldnt Have A Problem.thank You.

samantha1609
22-02-2007, 13:24 PM
Polo, you asked for advice, the advice is simple.

YOU NEED PERMISSION FOR THE DOG regardless of its pedigree, size, toilet habits etc.

I do not doubt that you are a clean respectable person, however, consider this:

You have the dog at the property without permission and so are not enforced to clean the carpets.

Next ppl that move in have allergy to dogs, because carpets weren't cleaned, they have bad reaction to the hairs/bugs.

It's not the landlord/agent being difficult, its to protect the property, your deposit and future tenants!!!

Is it not just worth declaring the fact you have a dog? Or am I missing something here??

samantha1609
22-02-2007, 13:24 PM
Oh and thanks Paragon, its good to know I make sense sometimes :confused:

POLO
22-02-2007, 13:29 PM
We get professional cleaning anyway on all the houses we have rented.Its just that i dont have anywhere to live at the moment and this has come up i cant afford to loose it.and am not going to loose my dog either.

samantha1609
22-02-2007, 13:33 PM
To be honest it's up to you what you do.

On the whole, if you can provide previous references from properties where you have had the dog, were prepared to pay an additional deposit etc and said you had a dog, I personally would happily put you in a property I owned. You may just have to put it forward to the agent/landlord.

I wouldn't recommend trying to hide the dog. Tried and failed by many of my tenants.

POLO
22-02-2007, 13:35 PM
I Just Think I Will Be Turned Away Then Wont Have Anywhere To Live?

samantha1609
22-02-2007, 13:39 PM
Won't know until you try? Anyways, it's your decision, I'm sure you'll draw your own conclusions from all that has been said on the matter.

POLO
22-02-2007, 13:42 PM
Dont know if i can risk it and not have a roof over my head.but thank you for all the info,it will make me think.

Paragon
22-02-2007, 13:54 PM
Let's clear something up here. All contracts will generally have a clause about No Pets. This doesn't necessarity mean that the LL will not allow pets. It is a protection against someone bringing in an alligator or mountain lion.

Poppy
22-02-2007, 14:12 PM
Try and find a willing landlord from the outset. Otherwise the landlord will evict at the end of the tenancy agreement whether you want to stay or not. Landlords do not have to supply reasons for eviction if you have an Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement.

Additionally, just because agents display signs saying "no pets", that should not deter you. You should still inform prospective landlords on a property by property basis prior to viewing, so that no one's time is wasted. Remember, you'll be signing a tenancy agreement with a landlord, not an agent.

chops04
22-02-2007, 16:31 PM
On my tenancy agreement it says no pets unless agreed by LL. I didn't want to be constantly worried about having a rent inspection and having to "hide" my two cats so I told my LA that i did have pets. There was an additional clause added to the tenancy agreement to say that the LL agreed I could keep my cats at the property.

I personally would be honest and upfront with the LL and say that you have a dog.

choices
22-02-2007, 22:08 PM
The answer to Polo's question is NO. Permission must be sought from the tenant first to inspect a property.
Many agent will refuse pets as standard. Many private landlords will happily accept pets if you come across as a good and responsible pet owning tenant.
I have rented in the past and usually have had 2 dogs, my work is based around my animals - hence I am self-employed, as I do not leave them alone for long periods, it is not easy to find premises, but the longest time searching for a property has only ever been 4 weeks. If the dogs are not a nuisance to neighbours - and the owner will know if the pets are a pain in the butt - then there is not usually a problem.
I at the moment have 4 dogs (2 are very recent rescues waiting to be re-homed)I am lucky that I am not looking for rental property.
Many pet owners keep a clean and tidy house and are unfairly discriminated, the pets are clean, well kept and non-smelly.
Not all dogs/cats dig holes in gardens/pee all over house/smell/have fleas/ticks/chew doorframes etc. Give our furry freinds some credit. We also have less chance of a burglary in the property!

scampicat
23-02-2007, 01:31 AM
Why don't you just ask permission? The Landlord might give it.

I personally would not be happy with dogs in my house (they all smell), esppecially a bull terrier as they could be dangerous to others.

However, I may still give permission under certasin circumstances.

POLO
23-02-2007, 06:56 AM
WHY DO PEOPLE JUDGE DOGS BECAUSE OF A BREED,Hes the most kindest affectionate dog ever.!!!!

POLO
23-02-2007, 06:59 AM
Love Choices Response.exactly Thanks Choices,hes Known By To Previous Landlords Who Love Him,so Ill See.let You Know.

pippay
23-02-2007, 13:14 PM
All dogs smell regardless of pedigree. Poor argument.

ANY dog may have a bad day and have an "occasional "accident. - Again Poor argument

Maybe, you're previous LL's could give you, AND your dog, references in this respect but isn't guaranteed to overcome an individual Landlord's hesitation or misgivings.

I think the breed would also be relevant to a LL when making such a decision. i.e. Rottwieller/ German Shepherd as opposed to Yorkshire Terrier / Lhasa Apso (who by the way hardly moult and their relatives the Schitz Zu don't moult at all)

Sorry I can't be more helpful - I'm a tenant with pets - all i'm trying to do is see it from a LL's perspective, note their objections and see if you can overcome those objections ...

my dog goes all day ,doesnt smell cos hes pedigree and is extremely well house trained and have rented twice before where they have allowed him.i just dont have a house at the moment and dont want to be turned away.

petillant
23-02-2007, 13:33 PM
Why don't you just ask???? Where people have asked me I've generally agreed (if I'm ok with the size of the animal in relation to the size of the property), I normally ask for a little bit of an extra deposit for the animal in case they damage the carpet or something.

The only time I've been against the pet is where the tenant a) didn't tell me in the beginning b)hasn't been paying the rent c)been generally diasagreeable.

POLO
23-02-2007, 14:02 PM
I CANT AFFORD NOT TO HAVE A HOUSE.BUT I'll have to take the risk.:(

choices
23-02-2007, 19:51 PM
Not all dogs smell, if looked after properly. Dogs are dogs regardless of the breed. FACT.
Having worked with dogs for the last 30 years, I can honestly state that usually it is down to the owner if the dog smells/chews furniture/barks all day long/bites people/digs holes in gardens etc. If you are honest with the landlord about your dogs behaviour patterns and temperment (all good owners want the best for their dog/s)they will normally be ok. Have rented many times, most I have had are 3 of medium size - ALL rescue dogs with past problems, never have I had a problem with the landlord, similar to many tenants I have met with pets.
The only problem I have come across are people who do not like dogs/cats and tar all with the same brush.
The same landlords will not usually agree to having children in the property either.
To all the pet hating landlords, it is your choice of course, however, there are many many potential tenants with well-behaved animals so you would never experience a void period, ever.

choices
23-02-2007, 20:04 PM
Sorry if the previous post seems harsh. Many dogs/cats are well-behaved.
Many pets can and are looked after very well. Many pet owning tenants are well aware how difficult it is to find premises where pets welcome, there are fewer bad pet owning tenants than good.
Many pet owning tenants are in for a long term tenancy.
Most pet owning tenants make more effort to be a good tenant. We would appreciate an open-minded landlord, ideally who has pets themselves. Yes, pets sometimes have an upset tummy and accidents occur, this is easily cleared up, no long lingering smells, when tenancy over, most tenants would be happy to pay for the carpets to be professionally cleaned, and house returned spotless, remember most would prefer to have a good reference for future use.

DianeB
23-02-2007, 20:10 PM
You're right Choices, all landlords work to their own criteria which doesn't always suit potential tenants. One previous tenant of mine had a dog - lovely dog, no doggy smells and no problem with her having it. However, my last tenant had no pets but was a smoker (burnt the carpet) and despite having to completely redecorate due to yellow walls and clean all the carpets and curtains, I can still smell the smoke. That, I personally find offensive:mad:

POLO
24-02-2007, 07:49 AM
Thanks,well i asked the situation about dogs and he said the owner doesnt accept cats or dogs but doesnt mind people visting with them.I suppose they say that so thay are never left.So i didnt have the guts to say.my partner will have to go out with him when thay come to do the inspections.Thay cant enter on there own accord can they without are permission?.What should i do ????If i come clean im scared they will want us to move and i dont have the money for another property.:confused

Poppy
24-02-2007, 08:57 AM
What should i do ????
Find a landlord who will allow you to keep a dog.

POLO
24-02-2007, 09:08 AM
ITS NOT THAT EASY WHEN YOU HAVENT A ROOF OVER YOUR HEAD!!!!:mad:

Rebecca12
24-02-2007, 09:32 AM
I generally say no pets, but have allowed them when approached by tenants so long as the pet was suited to the particular property.

However, if a tenant sneaked one in I would question what else he/she might be hiding. I really think you'd be far better off just asking the question rather than spend the next 6 months worrying about it.

Good luck anyway.

POLO
24-02-2007, 10:16 AM
ive asked but just said no cats or dogs staying but can visit?im just scared of losing the property as its with a agent.

Paragon
24-02-2007, 10:27 AM
ive asked but just said no cats or dogs staying but can visit?im just scared of losing the property as its with a agent.

Is is not possible to speak to the LL directly or are the agents not offering to give you his name and address? If you can speak to the LL and show him your dog and that the dog is well trained e.g. sit on command, go down on command, recall on command, heal on command and go to his bed on command, the LL might relent. I probably would, especially if it was a ground floor flat and no chance of other tenants in other flats being disturbed.

The problem with sneaking him in, after you have agreed not to have a pet, may be construed at a minimum as a breach of contract, and at most, a misrepresentation to obtain goods which is more serious.

POLO
24-02-2007, 10:29 AM
its a two bed house with garden .oh i dont know what to do!!:confused:

DianeB
24-02-2007, 11:11 AM
Polo, could you write a letter to the landlord saying you have a dog and offer to put a kennel in the garden and keep house clean, suggesting that he can inspect house as often as he likes.

You could also put in writing that you will have carpets properly cleaned at the end of your tenancy.

Don't forget that the landlord is as keen to rent out as you are to rent from him and you don't want to spend your life worrying about every knock at the door!

POLO
24-02-2007, 11:17 AM
ive asked what would happen if we did have pets in the future?and waiting for reply.hes a house dog though hes part of the family he wouldnt be in a kennel!

DianeB
24-02-2007, 11:22 AM
Who's to know how much time the dog would spend in the kennel?

POLO
24-02-2007, 11:30 AM
True,but then they might think if hes out doors he going to bark and cause nuisance to neighbours etc.you cant win.;)

DianeB
24-02-2007, 11:34 AM
You may be pleasantly surprised by the landlords answer. As your original post mentioned, there was no definite ban on pets. Good luck!

MCSD
25-02-2007, 22:37 PM
I understand your point, but when you say that "They house immigrants and drug dealears but not pets"! Do you think your dog deserves a better life than this people? I know you love your dog but don't compare that, prejudice and racism won't help you.

Rebecca12
25-02-2007, 23:44 PM
To be honest, with the questions you've asked the agents so far - I suspect they may already have guessed that you have a pet. They may of course be happy to turn a blind eye to get the property let.

Still think you should take the honest approach - go on a mercy plea. Ask if the agents would speak to LL or let you speak to them. As a LL I would respect someone who went to the trouble of making contact with me to ensure they had my approval for a pet (and truly miffed if they had chosen to ignore my preference for no pets).

dafttart
27-02-2007, 11:18 AM
I think it's important to have permission as if you got found out then they would have reason to not renew your agreement etc.

I have to say that when we first moved into our rented house we asked the letting agency if we could have a cat - they said no straight away 'especially not cats' (for some reason?).

After our LL had given us another 6 months after being there the first 6 we wrote direct to our landlord (as their name & address is on our agreement). They were very nice and said 'if we like our furniture try having the 1' - so quite why the agency said no without even asking we dont know.

Anyway, we're coming up to our 5th year in renting the same place, same landlord, same letting agency - and we have 3 cats (on the 2nd & 3rd time we wrote to them again). The LL was quite happy with us doing this, but said that 3 would be the limit (which we couldnt really afford a 4th anyway!!!).

As part of us having 3 cats we are not allowed to put a cat flap in the property, and have to pay £85 when we leave the property for fumegation (tho never seen a flea! :) ) which we're very happy with those clauses.

I know dogs are a bit different in that they could do more damage, have bigger bladders etc!, but if you could show that you look after your dog very well then it'd have to be a really picky one that'd still say no.

I know our letting agent told us that they generally dont allow pets in anything which is either brand new or has recently been rennovated (which I can understand).

Anyway, hope you get good news.

POLO
01-03-2007, 12:02 PM
they said no to pets but we are already in.

Paragon
01-03-2007, 12:15 PM
Good luck Polo. Keep a low profile.

POLO
01-03-2007, 12:17 PM
How can they find out if hes not there when they inspect.(unless owner pops round out of the blue from america!)

Paragon
01-03-2007, 12:19 PM
They probably won't unless someone complains. You should be all right.

POLO
01-03-2007, 12:51 PM
well he is really quite and how are neighbours etc going to know that he doesnt allow pets in the house.hes a very well behaved house trained 5 year old dog.thank you.

POLO
01-03-2007, 15:14 PM
what are chances of them finding out on a scale of 1 to 10 ?:confused:

Paragon
01-03-2007, 15:19 PM
Funny question. If they don't find out, then its 1. If they find out, then its 10.

POLO
01-03-2007, 15:25 PM
i mean is it rare that they would,have you any experience etc?:(

Stel
01-03-2007, 17:34 PM
I guess you should hope the landlord doesn't read this forum!

DianeB
01-03-2007, 20:46 PM
Polo, I really do empathise with you. You are obviously torn between wanting to be a good tenant and loving your dog.

If the landlord finds out in the future about your dog, the worst he will try to do is end the tenancy. Once you are in, established, paying your rent on time and generally being the perfect tenant all landlords love, he will probably accept that you have a dog - most landlords want long term tenants rather than having to keep worrying about find new ones.

Try to enjoy living in your new home and give your dog a pat from me!

POLO
02-03-2007, 06:39 AM
Thank you so much hes a great well behaved dog and we are great tenants its a agency so they may turn a blind eye if they find out. :rolleyes:

Paragon
02-03-2007, 09:29 AM
Why do you continue initiating new threads on the same subject? If you are so concerned and this concern is affecting your daily life, maybe you should come clean. I actually don't think you have much to worry about. What's the downside? The LL finds out and you offer to pay additional deposit for any potential damage and guarantee to him that you will have the property steam cleaned, again if necessary. That would be the easiest solution for the LL as well as opposed to going thru the courts for eviction.

Stay cool!

POLO
02-03-2007, 09:47 AM
Well sorry!THANKS ANYWAY.