PDA

View Full Version : Can I still rent from agency with bad credit history?

blushbaby
21-02-2007, 10:46 AM
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on here and I'm after some advice. I've been hse-sharing for the past year and a half now but really want to move out soon and rent a 1 bed flat/house.

Obviously there's more choice avail on letting agencies books instead of just limiting myself to private landlords, but due to very careless money management when I was younger I have a far from perfect credit history.

I've since learnt the errors of my ways but subsequently have a CCJ and a few defaults on my credit file. I've heard that if you have a CCJ that letting agenies won't touch you with a bargepole. Is this true?

I can provide an excellent ref from my current (private) landlord and also provide employment refs. I'm far more responsible now than I used to be but just wanted to know if I should even bother registering with letting agencies or just stick to private landlords in my search for a new home.

I'm sick of hse-sharing with people who don't understand the basics of hygiene!

I currently live in North London and am looking to move back to South London.

Can anyone rec any agencies who are more lenient in their tenant criteria?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

strumm
21-02-2007, 11:08 AM
Not sure that you are going to get any recommendations as any good agent would take references. Part of the service they are paid to give is to find good tenants who are not going to default - which is why they run a credit check. If you have bad credit then you would be better to declare it to the agent and offer to pay a higher deposit.

jeffrey
21-02-2007, 11:30 AM
A CCJ usually means a risky proposition for landlord, creditor, mortgagee (lender), etc.
If you were one of these, would you be entirely happy with someone else who has several CCJs to her name?
What about finding a close relative wiling to act as guarantor? That might reassure L or his agent that you are now more likely to keep up payments.
Or could you now pay off the CCJs and have the entries removed?

blushbaby
21-02-2007, 11:44 AM
Jeremy, even with the CCJ paid off it still stays on my file for 6 yrs. I could ask my parents to act as guarntors if that would gurantee me a property, if push came to shove.

I see what you're saying regarding would I want a tenant with a CCJ - I have one though, not several and I'm far more responsible now than I was aged 18 with free reign of multiple credit cards.

Everyone deserves a second chance and if someone coudl provide more than sufficient proof of that, then I'd rent my property out to them. My current landlord can speak of my reliability as it stands.

Strumm paying a higher deposit if necessary wouldn't be a prob either.

One more question. Each time I register with an agency, they run a credit check on me right? I don't want to get multiple seraches done on my credit file if a property isn't guranteed at the end of it. I may aswell stick to looking for a 1 bed privately. What do you suggest? Will agenices be upfront with me from the start or just desperate to get me on their fees and fleece fees out of me that will just be a waste of money in the longrun.

Thanks again.

faxfan2002
21-02-2007, 12:16 PM
My, now, wife had rented two properties despite having been made bankrupt only 6 months previously (not two at the same time, but one after another). Conversley when we tried to rent one together they bounced me because my limited company (I'm an IT contactor and earning a fair old whack) had been around for less then 2 years. Go figure...

blushbaby
21-02-2007, 12:24 PM
My, now, wife had rented two properties despite having been made bankrupt only 6 months previously (not two at the same time, but one after another). Conversley when we tried to rent one together they bounced me because my limited company (I'm an IT contactor and earning a fair old whack) had been around for less then 2 years. Go figure...

The mind boggles ..this credit check malarky is so random!! :D

jinny
21-02-2007, 13:05 PM
I'm the worlds worst for mis-handling money, and i know i have had a couple of ccj's.
On my application form for the house i'm in now, it asked about things like that so i was honest and ticked the yes box. These ccj's i had were from about 8 yrs ago, and as far as i know they are still on my file, so i had to have a guarentor, which just happens to be my mum! so i have to make sure my rent goes out each week, as i know if i let the money build up in the bank each month, i'd end up dipping into it.

I think if you can get a guarentor you should be ok.Even though my mum is retired, her and my dad own their house outright now, and i was always led to believe that a guarentor had to be someone who was in full time employment, but not so, aparently.

samantha1609
21-02-2007, 13:06 PM
Blushbaby- The credit check is only an "enquiry" into your credit history so shouldn't affect your credit history - check with the agent as to who they use to make sure.

I'm a letting agent myself and the general rule is - declare the CCJ, offer higher deposit just in case/pay 6 months in advance/have a guarantor.

Not all landlords will say no to a person with a CCJ, it all depends on the whens and the hows to be honest. It generally shows up on the credit profile when the dates are and so the landlord can be told that they were x years ago due to ......... etc etc.

Plus, you could always offer to meet the landlord, as sometimes putting a face to the credit profile helps.

Just a few ideas...

Paragon
21-02-2007, 13:15 PM
A CCJ usually means a risky proposition for landlord, creditor, mortgagee (lender), etc.
If you were one of these, would you be entirely happy with someone else who has several CCJs to her name?
What about finding a close relative wiling to act as guarantor? That might reassure L or his agent that you are now more likely to keep up payments.
Or could you now pay off the CCJs and have the entries removed?

You are too quick - took the words out of my mouth.

blushbaby
21-02-2007, 13:32 PM
Thanks Jinny and Samantha for your replies! You've given me some much needed hope.

Thank you [I]everyone[I], hopefully I'll be renting a nice, cosy flat soon enough!

nick..
21-02-2007, 22:50 PM
Just be honest with the Agent from the off

Tell them you will fail the credit check, but either give them your garuntors details, or if you can't get one, explain how and why you will be able to pay the rent without missing any payments

I was in a similar position through an agent thats notoriously strict and uses an external company to financially vet tenants. I failed their credit requirements but easily surpassed the minimum required to rent the property I was looking at and had rented through them for 2 years with no missed payments. I managed to talk directly to the landlord. Once I'd had a chance to explain my past and and present situation, we signed immediately

I haven't missed a single £1000 rent payment in 3 years, so he made a good choice. Believe it or not, even people with bad credit histories need places to live......

blushbaby
22-02-2007, 15:27 PM
Cheers Nick,

When the times comes I'll be honest from the get-go. Thanx for sharing your experience with me.