PDA

View Full Version : Landlord + Council Tenancy?

recap
20-02-2007, 17:16 PM
Hi all,

I have just registered with my local town council as my landlord is not showing any willing to repair faults on the property I am renting off him.

The council wants to know what is wrong with the property I am in now.

If I tell them, they have said they will get in touch with my landlord.

Now my question is this:

If the council get in touch with him and he in turn then evicts me for reporting him, would the council then have to house me?

recap

Poppy
20-02-2007, 17:33 PM
Yes quite possibly.

But one would hope that you would try to find alternative private accommodation. Are you currently looking for better accommodation?

When is your tenancy up?

Paragon
20-02-2007, 17:40 PM
What repairs is your LL not doing? Are they repairs covered as his obligations in the contract?

recap
20-02-2007, 17:40 PM
My landlord put my rent up, as expected due to interest rates. In the letter he sent me explaining why, he said he would send a new agreement this was 3 weeks ago, and I still haven't received one. I do not want a new agreement that will tie me in for another 12 months.

My last agreement ran out June last year.

I have been looking for new accomodation since before christmas, but there is nothing in the areas I would prefer to go.

Poppy
20-02-2007, 17:42 PM
Don't sign a new agreement unless you really want it.

Your landlord cannot unilaterally modify the rent.

recap
20-02-2007, 17:46 PM
Your landlord cannot unilaterally modify the rent.

Could you explain this for me please Poppy?

Paragon
20-02-2007, 18:18 PM
On the subject of rent:

Fixed Term Assured Tenancy - the landlord and tenant agree a rent amount that will stay the same through the term of the contract unless both agree to change it. The landlord can raise the rent at the end of the fixed term only if he gives the tenant written notice at least one month prior to initiating the increase.
Contractual Periodic Tenancy - Tenants have no right to a fixed fair rate for rent, but they also have no fixed term, so can stay on indefinitely.

SOURCE: www. rightmove.co.uk

Beeber
20-02-2007, 18:26 PM
Now my question is this:

If the council get in touch with him and he in turn then evicts me for reporting him, would the council then have to house me?

recap

I'm not aware that a local authority has a statutory obligation to house tenants who are being legally evicted by their landlord after bringing the property to their attention for breaching their obligations to undertake repairs. Perhaps the tenancy relation officer for the local authority can advise.

The best information about the local authorities obligations to provide advice or social housing is contained on the Shelter website.

"You can ask your local council's housing department for help if you have nowhere to stay or are likely to lose your home in the next 28 days. The council is legally required to give you advice and help you to find a place to live. Depending on your situation, you might also be entitled to accommodation."

http://england.shelter.org.uk/advice/advice-145.cfm

M.A.O.H
20-02-2007, 19:21 PM
to be rehoused by the council, you have to stay put where and go through all the hassle of 'not bcoming voulantarily homeless', which could well lead to eviction and unpleasant legal action etc. you probably would be offered another private let. are you single? i ask because when my ex LL decided he wanted to sell up rather than repair, the council told me they could only offer me a private let/B&B/ hostel, and i could be there for up to three years, and i have two children! i think your options would be worse if you are single. also the private lets are few and far between, and if you turned one down for eg not liking the area, you would then be making yourself voulantarily homeless, and then they have no duty to help you out. there just aren't any council places about, you have to have serious issues like mental health problems to get anywhere near the top of the pecking order. i have been on the list for 20 years!
if the LL evicts you for reporting faults, i wouldn't say it would be making yourself homeless, as my ex LL's decision to sell after the enviromental health told him off didn't go against me. it's just that decent council accomodation is so rare, you may be best off looking for somewhere else yourself.

recap
20-02-2007, 20:06 PM
Thanks folks for the advice.

Beeber thanks for the link, very helpful.

I did post on here last year detailing the faults with the property of which - as I posted - the LL has not undertaken.

There is still a great deal of damp in the kitchen, the holes in the bathroom wall have not been filled in, the electrics are now blowing nearly every week or so. I do not believe any of these are my responsibility, or are they?

One other question I have, I have been looking on other posts here and came across one that said the LL only came around annually to get the gas installation/s certified. Is this an obligation the LL has to do?

jinny
20-02-2007, 22:53 PM
My ex LL dragged his feet in doing repairs in my house, i ended up getting enviromental health involved, and that's when i got served with the sec 21.

My local housing office asked for proof of the eviction etc, and then i was put in touch with a local housing officer, who did a home visit, and that gave me the chance to show her what repairs needed doing, she then got back in touch with the emh office (housing standards) but i was told if i did get evicted, then i would end up in a temporary accomodation place, which i didn't want, so i ended up looking for another private rental place, and luckily i found one just in the area i wanted.

Beeber
21-02-2007, 07:18 AM
There is still a great deal of damp in the kitchen, the holes in the bathroom wall have not been filled in, the electrics are now blowing nearly every week or so. I do not believe any of these are my responsibility, or are they?

One other question I have, I have been looking on other posts here and came across one that said the LL only came around annually to get the gas installation/s certified. Is this an obligation the LL has to do?

What is the landlord responsible for?

http://england.shelter.org.uk/advice/advice-4075.cfm

Landlords are responsible for ensuring that the boilers in their properties are issued with a Corgi gas safety certificate and this must be renewed on an annual basis. It is a breach of law for a landlord not to do this.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/advice/advice-4049.cfm